Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Members

^OLTL and AMC trade and up and down all the time. I'm not seeing anything steady, if it were steady then I'd be more inclined to think that OLTL is without a doubt safe.

I can't imagine that OLTL going first is going to create more backlash than having SL going all over national TV and being like, "ABC is happy with AMC financially" and what not. Not only will they make her look like a fool, but someone at ABC would have then knowingly set her up. I dunno.

Do we still think that ABC lied to the cast? That they knowingly and willingly let Susan Lucci go all over national TV and lie?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, but it's the 2pm slot they want for the new show. So it comes down to ditching AMC and putting OLTL in its place in most markets, or axing OLTL and cradling the new show between AMC and GH. In the former scenario, ABC needs to pray that OLTL's audience will follow it to its new slot and not damage a potential lead-in for the new show, and by ripple effect, GH. In the latter scenario, they need to hope AMC can at least retain its numbers and be a decent lead-in to the new show. Even if the new show were to get the so-so demos OLTL is currently doing, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to produce. Personally, I see the former scenario as the one with the most potential damage.

• Members

I think AMC is safe and OLTL is gone (I don't think thats fair) but its going to be like that. AMC has had a more VOCAL fanbase. Yes right now OLTL is above them but you gotta look at it. If ABC decides to cancel one of the shows ABC is going to get backlash regardless.

• Members

And also OLTL has the 2pm slot which is more wanted by the networks. The Talk is probably getting around 400k-500k in the demos against OLTL but that cost less to produce.

OLTL getting the current ratings it gets isn't do well to the network "Standards" for that timeslot.

• Members

They would get a lot of negative press if they canceled AMC, even though the negativity would just be because the show has so much history, and employs the most recognizable name in soaps. They don't need negative press if they are trying to launch news shows, especially if one of those shows is more of a risk, like a docudrama or daytime reality show.

They needed a new head writer,since the previous head writers no longer had contracts. The Broderick signing would be a good sign, if she hadn't already been working for AMC in some capacity. It's not like they went out and hired someone from outside of the company, they just moved her into a higher position.

Yep. All that AMC has is its history, but the last year has shown that people have left, and not even bad weather, holidays, or plot driven stunts are going to bring them back.

• Members

But the realtiy is one will be cancelled soon.

I didnt see any negative press for CBS when they cancelled the longest running daytime soap. GL actually got some good press unless you count dwindling numbers of the soaps left as an after effect.

Archived