Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't read the other places so I have no idea what anyone over there is saying, besides no matter who or how many may be saying something I don't believe justifies labeling an entire shows fans as something.

I do believe it will be helpful to recap the rumors from 2011: the initial rumor was AMC is getting cancelled, then on April 1 it was added AMC AND OLTL were getting cancelled. As a OLTL fan I am a little annoyed that internet posters have turned it into a choice that ABC is making picking either AMC or OLTL, if the intitial rumor is true then AMC is cancelled, if the addition to the rumor is true than AMC and OLTL are cancelled. I think many on here seems to have forgotten the original rumors and that places AMC as the soap most in danger, but some on here just want to ignore that fact and convince themselves somehow OLTL may be cancelled and AMC survives, if we believe the original rumors, if OLTL goes, AMC goes as well. Certainly both rumors could be false and only OLTL is cancelled although that option has never been reported as the rumors, so why is that possibility embraced by so many?

• Members

The DC rumor that started all this never said that AMC was the soap getting cancelled, it was always between AMC and OLTL and then it was AMC, then both, then neither and now...who knows?

Besides, you are acting like OLTL has never been subjected to a cancellation rumor.

• Members

the DC rumor was a soap-opera internet site in Feb that simply said "an ABC soap was in danger", when the rumors hit the mainstream in March(including many non-soap sites) it was reported AMC was getting cancelled, it was not reported in any of those sources that it was a choice ABC was deciding between AMC and OLTL, that "choice" option is simply fan specualtion of whats happening. On April 1, TV Guide added OLTL to the story by saying OLTL and AMC were rumored to be cancelled, notice TV Guide didn't say ABC was picking between the two, rather they said both are going. That is my point. OLTL had cancellation rumors in recent years, but so far in 2011 it was only when in April TV Guide that named OLTL and AMC were getting cancelled. I am not saying OLTL isn't in any danger, of course these rumors could be a bit off and the fan speculation is correct and ABC is still deciding between AMC and OLTL, although the rumors are what they are, and AMC is the center of it, so if we take the rumors as truth then AMC is getting cancelled and OLTL may be as well, but so far no rumor has been published saying OLTL is cancelled and AMC survives, that has only been wishful thinking by some online.

• Members

No offense, but it's all rumors. None of it has been proven as "fact," so to act like it's so ridiculous to disregard one rumor over the other is a little much, no? To be completely honest, the idea of AMC and/or OLTL getting boot has been strong for at least a year now, and it has always been a matter of "Which one? Or both?" up until the big hoopla from 3/21. Considering absolutely nothing that we learned in that article, or in any of the following articles, was new, you have to understand why people are disregarding all of the nonsense.

• Members

• Members

I agree none of the rumors have been proven as "fact" although I'm sure you'll agree this is what each rumor has said:

3/21 rumor: AMC is being cancelled

4/1 rumor: AMC and OLTL is being cancelled

we also have internet speculation, and yes you are correct saying its over a year old, that AMC or OLTL may be cancelled. And many have put out the opinion that OLTL will be cancelled and AMC remains on the air. Can ABC cancel OLTL and keep AMC? Of course they could, although I take more seriously published reports than some poster/s on here. And the bottom line is according to the published rumors either AMC is cancelled or AMC and OLTL is cancelled, anything else is speculation or wishful thinking. BTW my wishful thinking is no soap is cancelled.

• Members

Well, to be honest, "published reports" mean nothing if there's nothing official to back it up. You don't have to take my seriously, though, you're free to believe whatever you want to about the situation because at this point there is nothing at all to confirm or deny anything...at all. And that's my point. You think if one's gonna go while the other stays, it'll be OLTL staying. Okay. Don't call it "wishful thinking" when the rest of us use what we know about the soap industry, and the useless soap press, to come to the conclusion that either show could go, both could go, or neither one could go. It's really all up in the air, and anyone who's settled on being 100% sure of OLTL going before AMC or AMC going before OLTL is being silly.

• Members

ABC play for Katie Couric?

Network may offer daytime slot for yakker

By Cynthia Littleton

The speculation about Katie Couric's future yak show plans has centered on her cutting a syndication deal. But sources indicate there's a strong chance that ABC will put a network daytime slot on the table when the bidding for Couric begins in earnest as she sets her segue from "The CBS Evening News."

It's no secret that ABC intends to pare down its three-hour slate of daytime sudsers ("All My Children," "General Hospital" and "One Life to Live") in the coming years. A Couric show could be a high-profile transition for the Alphabet in one of the time slots now occupied by its decades-old serials.

ABC's selling point might be the stability of time slot offered by a network slot and the fact that its O&O and affiliate stations tend to be stronger in daytime than its rivals -- particularly the NBC O&Os. On the other hand, a network show could not offer the same kind of potential windfall of a first-run syndie strip, which in success can be a license to print money (just ask Oprah).

From VARIETY, read the rest of the article here:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118035373?categoryid=14&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|TVNews

Archived