Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The news that AMC or OLTL for that matter is to be cancelled is making me physically ill. For the first time, it seems like a real possibility. I was afraid to check this site this morning. Even my homepage, MSN, had the cancellation possibility as their top story. If any of this is true, I hope we get an announcement today. If there is nothing by the end of the week, then it was probably all speculation. If anything good comes out of this, I hope it's that JHC and D&D realize just just how tenous the situation really is and bring it!

• Members

And you know, what's sad is that it isn't the "Save....!" campaign itself that's inherently embarrassing or futile. I would totally get behind it (and would have gotten behind the ATWT campaign) if the group had clear objectives and solutions. Not just "Put it back on TV!!" It's a sad fact, but it's a fact, that these shows are no longer money-makers. We can't demand the networks fill their time with shows that won't make them money. What we need to do is come up with solutions, real, feasible solutions (and it would be best to have someone who really knows the TV industry on the team), and then compile those solutions. We can demand that they try something.

• Members

I agree they need to build on ratings gains they get and keep the audience. OLTL is great at building a story and giving a huge revelation or event but after it always seems to fizzle out and thats why viewers drop off, are you listening Ron and the writers at OLTL? Make damn sure you write us something interesting after these big events to keep the viewers you gain. With that said, I think the fact OLTL is able to obtain these gains despite losing them is why it seems to be safe and not getting canceled, as it shows signs of "life" and potential.

• Members

IMO I hope they let Lorriane Broderick and Agnes Nixon pen the last episode of AMC. IMO it should be a huge week, they should try to reduplicate the week of 1995 when AMC celebrated its golden 25 with the best week ever. IMO my favorite AMC week ever. Its really sad now because IMO the cancellation of AMC really spells the end of soap opera. AMC is one of the most beloved and biggest soaps of all time. I am sad but financially I understand. ATWT and GL were cancelled on shoestring budgets but AMC is just too expensive to produce. I think its great the fans get involved but it wont make any difference. ABC wants a View spinoff, honestly I am surprised they aren't spinning Elisabeth Hasselbeck into her own show. Anyways I just hope Lorriane and Agnes can write the final shows.

Archived