Valerie/The Hogan Family

dragonflies

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved the fire episode. I liked how they had the "real" house that they use for the opening shots as being on fire. I wonder where they filmed that. I'd hoped they'd reference the fire in following episodes, but they just went about their merry sitcom way like it never happened.

I never saw the AIDS episode. :(

• Members

I never watched it myself. although I did like Jason Bateman to some degree. The few times I saw it, it was pretty cheesy, a little preachy, and nowhere NEAR the caliber of Mary Tyler Moore or Rhoda. It's just when you see Valerie as Rhoda, everything else is a big fat letdown. I suppose you could level the same criticizms at The Facts Of Life..... but that show was just BETTER in it's preachiness for some reason.

• Members

Very true, for some reason, it's one of those cheesy sitcoms from the 80's (and 90's) that I can stand to watch to this day. Like most sitcoms of that era, it had its fair share of "very special episodes" but all the girls were clearly defined and relatable to watch to some extent.

With most, if not all, of the Miller-Boyett sitcoms, I think I would only enjoy if I were 8 again. They were very cheesy and have aged terribly, IMO.

• Members

I think it's extremely unfair to compare The Hogan Family with MTM/Rhoda. Different shows, different times, different audiences, etc. As far as FOL vs. THF?.......

I love me some FOL, love it to death, and I agree with this to an extent, but the first thing that came to my mind? Tootie having a nervous breakdown over Jermaine Jackson's ugly ass. That was at the "I soooo excited!! I soooo exciteddddd!! I'M....SO......SCARRRRRREEEEDDDD!!" level of unintentional hilarity.

• Members

Isn't the Jermaine episode the same one where they're at the restaurant and Mrs. Garrett says, "Look! There's Rachel from Another World!" But it's not her. Maybe that was a different ep.

Valerie/THF is one of those shows we literally watched every week yet the memories seem to have all gone up in smoke. A couple things I recall: Valerie washing the husky twin's mouth out with soap when he picked up cussing (I wish I could remember how they handled the cussing, I don't remember if they bleeped him or if they cleverly worked around it), the thin twin getting all emo because he was little, the fire, Mrs.Poole and her huge dog (did that dog get hit by a car in one ep or am I getting my Punky Brewster wires crossed? :wacko: )...

• Members

That was a different episode of FOL, it was when all of the girls and Mrs. G. went down to New York. That's the one where Natalie saw her dad kissing another woman and brooded about it (Mindy Cohn smirking and giggling all throughout the most dramatic parts :lol:)

Mrs. Poole was the shiz, man! Of course I wasn't around in the 80s, but between Ferris Beuller and Hogan Family, Edie McClurg is so damn 80s.

• Members

The minute I started reading your post I remember the thing with Natalie's dad cheating. :lol: Natalie had lots of drama. The weight, the adoption... she did get to lose her V first though. She and Jo had the Dorothy/Sophia comedic rhythm, the Jewish/Italian thing. Speaking of TGG, FOL and Punky Brewster (both NBC) did old age makeup episodes that I think were inspired by the popularity of TGG.

• Members

And did you know that she was one of the girls in the gym class in Carrie? Edie's one of the few celebs who actually posts on their IMDb page. Her sn is something like "RighteousDudette". I first encountered her on Small Wonder. She disappeared and Alice Ghostley began to make more and more appearances in her stead as her sister-in-law. To my childhood memory, it was not immediately apparent that Edie'd left Small Wonder for Valerie, there was a bit of a gap between stints but I'm assuming that is indeed why she left SW.

Archived