February 21-25, 2011

Toups

• Members

I just can't believe that because someone saw that something was going to happen on GH, that they would sit through the other two just to get to that one. If GH came on before the other two and people stayed tuned, I can go with that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its interesting. GH does a big event, big promo, YR has had a couple of weeks of lackluster ratings and now YR is down the tubes. Wasnt it just a couple of weeks ago YR averaged over 6M viewers for the week.

YR maybe have had a couple of weeks of poor performance but I would bet that they rebound to an extent. They always seem to. Not that the show is great or good by any means.

The more interesting pattern here is what is happening to B&B and the fact that the typical events that help TV viewing like snowstorms havent appeared to help them at all.

• Members

I don't think Y&R/GH are in the same situation so I'm not comparing them (GH usually tends to rise for a stunt, whereas Y&R is more stable). I don't even know Y&R's ratings for this week so I can't say. I just wonder if the bottom is finally falling out for Y&R as the show has started having larger drops and unlike some past instances there's no concrete reason why. I feel like the current Y&R has coasted and coasted and burned through a lot of goodwill.

• Members

I can recall Y&R during LML's regime hitting some lows. In fact when MAB took over things didnt rebound for a while.

I havent seem this terrible ratings drop for Y&R aside from the last couple of weeks and last week everyone dropped. They have gotten the same uptic all the other soaps have from the weather events.

I am not defending the quality of the show but what good will have they burned the past few weeks? GH lost over 1 M viewers in 2007 but there are things you could point to to cause that, primarily the darkness and killing off of a bunch of characters that year. Unless folks believe Canes demise killed YR. I dont believe that at all. Killing off John Abbott hurt Y&R more than anything over the past few years and then add in Brad and Colleen.

A couple of weeks of a drop in ratings or a couple of weeks of an uptic is not a sustained patterns. Now B&B's drops are more consistant so as I said before that is more interesting that the rest of the shows regular peaks and valleys from week to week

• Members

Sorry - I didn't mean Y&R has never had sustained drops. I meant under MAB/Rauch/Sheffer. I'm probably wrong but I remember them generally being stable, falling one week, then going back up. I can't remember two or three weeks of falls.

On the surface I can't really believe Cane's OTT "death" would drive away viewers, but when the show has so little to offer, I do wonder if such a gruesome sequence might have been the last straw for some fans.

• Members

A show doesn't necessarily have to come afterward to benefit from inflated numbers. Some people flick on the TV early waiting for their favorite show to begin. They obviously got some lapsed viewers back who may have wanted to sample the entire ABC lineup. I'm sure there was some reverse trickle effect. Who knows?

• Members

Wouldn't that have to mean that people flicked on their TV for both shows, everyday? And wouldn't the AMC/OLTL gains be a little closer together if that were the case? I'm not saying it's not, it probably had something to do with it. But I'm not sure I'm convinced that the gains for the other two have to be tied directly to GH. Though, I haven no idea what else it could be...'cause AMC was lousy as heck that week. LOL

• Members

You know what? Sometimes it is just as simple as "viewers didn't like what they were seeing, so they switched over."

This is not a popular opinion, but the lead-up to That Wedding on GH was pretty good, IMO. Here's why: liberal use of different characters, Robin front-and-center as Brenda's best friend, Snarly finally getting a taste of her own medicine and getting meangirled by R&B, MB and VMG finally rediscovering some of their shared chemistry, and the Davis girls sharing screentime. There was also this undercurrent of tongue-in-cheek humor in the writing which helped lighten the usual GH depression-fest that constitutes Sweeps.

Y&R OTOH? I can't even remember what happened yesterday on the show, let alone last week. The show likely featured the following: Phyllis, Jack, Billy & CrackToria aka The Greatest Couple in the Whole Wide World Ever, Kevin & Chloe aka the Second Greatest Couple in the Whole Wide World Ever, Eric Braeden egregiously ignoring his co-stars, prodigious Jill-bashing, and Tucker. Y&R's viewers wisely chose to channel-surf.

• Members

Y&R needs a super story to pump ratings back up. These drops should have happened sooner, around the time of Lauren/Sarah but viewers held on. Kevin and Cloe are not a super couple; Billy growing 'mature' is lame; no one cares about Sophia or Collin or Hogan; Nikki+Deacon+Meggie=MESS!

As for Bold and the Homeless, the show needs a major reboot and a refocus on core characters to get stable. The canvus has been flooded with mega newbies within less than one year. Furthermore, the notion of Bill 'killing' Amber and what he believes to he is grandson is sick. Also, anything Thom does feels sick and dirty.

AMC and OLTL are still stuck in the mud.

• Members

So I guess the same day DVR numbers managed to keep B&B ahead of GH in total viewers by 2k, and Y&R hits new lows in Women 18-49 again. I have no theories, all I know for me personally, every time I check in on Y&R, the stories are still awful and don't interest me and I feel a good 1/3 of the characters needs to be chucked out. As for B&B, this show has so lost it's way and needs a reboot or something. Why out of all of Eric and Stephanie's kids, Ridge is the only one that Brad writes for? Thorne & Felecia should both be on canvas and in major stories. And the Jackie M clan, nothing against Jack Wagner or Lesley-Anne Down, and maybe I'm the only one, but I've never felt Jackie M Designs as a good "replacement" for the Spectras. Why is Jackie M and Forrester Creations so friendly? Shouldn't they be rivals, feuding and trying to out sell each other and out-do each other's designs? You hardly see any of that. For me best part of B&B was Stephanie and Sally Spectra's Feud and Spectra Fashions vs Forrester Creations. I could go on and on, but something's wrong when I get done watching an episode of B&B, the best part is the opening (which is pretty awesome). If only Brad put more effort into the rest of the show...Okay, that's my soapbox rant for the day. :lol:

Archived