Gay Bashing on GH

• Members

TV Guide

GAY BASHING ON GH

General Hospital finally moves full steam ahead with Lucas' gay story line next week. In a heartbreaking twist, Luke Spencer's shy nephew — who recently came out to select peers — is the victim of gay-bashing.

"Lucas goes out to a bar with friends and the wrong guy overhears him discussing his sexual orientation," his 24-year-old portrayer, Ben Hogestyn, tells TVGuide.com. "The guy flirts with Lucas, so his friends get excited for him and leave them alone together."

Next thing you know, they're walking in the park — a place where very bad things happen to good people on GH. (Liz was once raped there.) "We're supposed to just go for a slice of pizza, but the guy assaults Lucas with a lead pipe," Hogestyn previews. "Later, his cousins, Georgie and Maxie, find Lucas in the bushes, all bloody and bruised." He refuses to go to General Hospital, though, because he has family working there — including his mom, Nurse Bobbie (Jackie Zeman). "Lucas would have to come out to them and he's not ready to do that. So he lays low for a day and then returns to the bar for payback."

A fight breaks out, of course. "Lucas is arrested and ends up coming out to the whole PCPD!" Hogestyn enthuses. "It's pretty wild. I'm happy to be part of such an important story."

FYI, Hogestyn and Lindze Letherman (Georgie) start appearing in PSAs on Jan. 18 urging viewers to stand up against homophobia and "be an ally and a friend" to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. A spokesman for GLAAD, which advised ABC on the PSAs, says: "We look forward to watching Lucas, Bobbie and those around them explore the coming-out process, the importance of straight allies, the complexity of romantic relationships and the impact of hate crimes."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

aw but your forgetting one thing though, Guza and Pratt are writing this show.

I was merely interested while reading this in the begining. Having them deal with Lucas being gay and this act of violence. They however lost me with the part of Lucas going back to the bar for payback. Now they're turning this story into Fight Club. Praza can go to hell.

• Members

I knew this "storyline" would be a total sham! They can't just write a character as gay, they have to go and do a stereotypical gay bashing. Of course the only reason Lucas is gay is because of Ryan Carnes' Desperate Housewives role. I'm sure this'll be better than that AWFUL gay wedding with Marcie's brother on OLTL, but that's really not saying much.

I'm sure As the World Turns will do a very good job with their gay storyline, putting GH to shame.

• Members

I think soaps feel like if they toss us a bone and have a gay character, they have no obligation to write an interesting or unique story for them. Of course, they don't write interesting stories for anyone else either so it's equal opportunity. :lol:

I really hope ATWT takes a different route with their story and doesn't bash Luke in the head after he comes out. I'm not even convinced these characters have to have a big coming out. Why can't they stay in the closet at least for a while, and sneak around with lovers and have a secret life. At least it's something that hasn't been done before on soaps. It's always the coming out, parents not liking it, and then physical violence of some nature. Yuck.

• Members

To be honest I'm amazed that GH have bothered to do a gay storyline for any other reason than to be "hip" or cash in on Desperate Housewives style themes.

And having recently heard a less than flattering story about JFP's attitudes towards homosexuality, I'm surprised she's gone along with it too.

Archived