15 worse TV Spin Offs

Soapsuds

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Three's a Crowd wasn't that bad. I've liked the episodes I've seen of it. The only real problem with it is that Vicky sucked ass, majorly. Jack Tripper, cad that he was, would have never been that interested in such a boring ass person. I can't wait for it to start airing on Antenna TV in a couple of months, though, just to see as part of a regular schedule instead of a one-night marathon thing. Speaking of, The Ropers starts tomorrow!! More excited about that than I should be!

I also loved The Brady Brides. The two episodes I remember the most are when they went on The Newlywed Game (BREASTS AND THIGHS!! THIGHS AND BREASTS!!) and when the couples split the house down the middle because they had a big argument. I'd LOVE to see that sh!t again. Then again, I also loved The Bradys and all related TV movies.

Phyllis, I haven't seen a whole bunch of. There are some episodes on YT (for now) that I need to watch soon, though. The clips I've seen now and then seem pretty run-of-the-mill MTM, though.

• Members

Oh wow, I've watched the two TC pilot Roper eps the last two nights on Antenna, I didn't know that they were going to show the full series. I agree that Vicki was a snooze, everything I ever knew about that show I've forgotten. I've never seen The Brady Brides, I think they showed that on TV Land years back and I missed it. I do remember The Bradys (oof) and the Christmas movie that started it off. I'm lol'ing because I remember watching it with my fam and there's one scene where Carol and the girls step out of the kitchen into the living room carrying food and bust out with a Christmas carol and my mom was like, "Oh Gahhhd, dis is sicknin'..." :lol: One summer when I was in elementary school they would show Rhoda and Phyllis in syndication and I could never really get into either. Diff'rent Strokes, Fact of Life, What's Happening!!, those were more my thing.

• Members

Nope, not as Sue Ann. Only Rhoda (Valerie Harper), Phyllis (Cloris Leachman) and Lou (Edward Asner) were spun off into new series. And of those three, I'd rank "Lou Grant" first in terms of overall quality, followed by "Rhoda." LG might've taken itself too seriously at times, but it managed to retain MTM's integrity, whereas "Rhoda" virtually became another "Laverne & Shirley" and "Happy Days" by the end of its' run. (Thank you, Charlotte Brown, for proving you are no Jim Brooks.)

• Members

WIth Three's Company, didn't the UK original show it was based on (which I think was called somethign else entirely) also have spin offs that were similar to The Roepers and Three's a Crowd, and were minor hits? I always found that interesting...

Brady Brides was a "dramedy" right? I never saw it but I remember how depressing I found as a kid one of the Xmas specials (wasn't someone an alcoholic?) It seemed bizarre to go from the extreme optimistic simplicity of the original Brady Bunch to that--still nothing tops the Variety Shoe (the cartoon which I think had a talkin dog or cat was odd too...)

I remember finding Time of Your Life awful, but I had pretty much given up on Party of Five by then too... On the other hand I kinda liked Pratt's Models Inc and I remember a fe wyears later when working on a play in university somehow we got talking about it and nearly half the cast had watched LOL (and were annoyed that they never solved the cliffhangar, though I believe they did film an ending for foreign showings).

And I was never a big Friends fan, so this feels weird to admit, but I never thought Joey was as bad as its rep has made it out to be. It was far from great or very good, but it still was better than a huge number of non spin off sitcoms that came and went at the same time--I guess it's rep is partly due to how incredibly beloved Friends was.

I forgot all about Living Dolls but I remember being excited to see it at the time. LOL

Where's Golden Palace? Or that spin off of another Golden Girls spin off--Nurses (spun off from Empty Nest) which I admit did have an ok run I guess...

Happy Days had so many spin offs--surely Blansky's Beauties or Out of the Blue were bigger disasters than Joanie loves Chachi--but I don't think anyone even remembers them...

Archived