15 worse TV Spin Offs

Soapsuds

• Members

It will be out on DVD soon. I'm picking it up.

. I prefered Polly over Diane. I didnt think Diane was that funny. The Jolene character was even worse. She wasnt funny at all.

The rumors were that:

Polly's huge, award-winning success as Flo on "Alice" did not endear her to the titular star of the show, Linda Lavin, who was increasingly irritated at having the attention and the show stolen from under her. It was reportedly due to this friction that Polly was encouraged to leave for her own spin-off series "Flo"

The same thing happened with Diane Ladd. She got the Emmy nod and Lavin didnt and they fired her. It had nothing to do with Ladd not being popular.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just read up on Jackee, and apparently it was a pilot made in the spring of 1989. NBC aired the episode but didn't order it to series. Jackee left 227 and made some guest appearances for the final season. And god yes, I remember watching the final season in reruns. Mr. Dylan McMillan and Stoney Jackson's random jheri-curl ass.

I don't think the characters of That 80s Show ever crossed paths with the Point Place gang, but I do remember that it was at least created by the same people who created T7S. Don't know about writing and what-not, though. Honestly, I wouldn't object to a That '90s Show springing up at this point.

• Members

I thought Alice had a ratings drop after Diane Ladd came in and the ratings went back up when Jolene came in.

I liked Flo but I also felt like she had run her course, they had used up the catchphrases. Bell's catchphrases were awful. Jolene seemed to be free of those and Celia Weston's comedy acting got better and better, and I liked the vibe.

I also had a crush on Vera's husband. :lol:

• Members

Baywatch = greatness, the first six or seven seasons at least, up until Stephanie's death. Pure escapism, and I betcha Aaron was kicking himself for not getting his hands on it first.

ETA: That opening...:lol: I love the "Baywatch piano" from about 1:01 to 1:21 No matter what you're doing or where you're at, you hear those dulcet little tones and you immediately think of Baywatch. Jaason Simmons hauling ass is just too funny. Everybody's running except for poor Garner.

• Members

He looks a little better in the credits, although he might just be a certain "type" that comes over more than looks, a type I find very cute (slightly nerdy but handsome, Jewish...). Bill Maher, before he became repulsive and pathetic, was his partner on the show. I really liked him and was glad the show let Vera find love and be happy. Beth Howland was so underrated as an actress. I didn't realize how much until I saw her on MTM as a real b!tch. Linda Lavin meanwhile, is someone who does less and less for me as the years go by. I also noticed how little she was on the show in its last year or two, and there were a number of episodes where Alice wasn't around, or where Lavin was just playing the little old landlady. Ugh. At least the show had a great last episode though.

I didn't realize just how many different version Lavin did of the theme. There is one I really liked but it doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

This is the worst. It sounds like she is having bowel issues:

• Members

Absolutely agree. Up until Stephanie died, it was amazing, just the most escapist piece of television ever. Aaron had to be dying that he didn't scoop it up. I just LOVE the opening, especially the very beginning, those bars make me pay attention!

Why else would I love Pamela Anderson if not for the show! I'm totally serious, I just love Baywatch. Love the whole thing. Excellent fun television.

• Members

LOL @Miss Lavin's bowel issues. My grandmother was convinced that she was the proverbial "somebody's niece" who got a lot of favors in the biz. Thinking about the Joel Grey episode now... "OMG, look, it's Joel Grey!" At any rate, The Simpsons took a great little dig at LL once, I'm forgetting the setup but I think it was about doing harm to someone and Bart offers, "Linda Lavin?" and Lisa says, "No, someone who doesn't deserve it."

Archived