ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Virtually every vet from Y&R is a well-known icon with black people, so this is especially true for Mrs. Chancellor. So if not Victor or Dru, then Kay's the best choice to represent Genoa City.

Outside of Bo and Hope, DAYS has no one. OLTL has no one. Outside of Stephanie or Brooke (maybe Ridge...maybe even Pam just for sh!ts and giggles because my aunts LOVE her!), B&B has no one.

• Members

Not much we didn't already know, from SOD:

Daytime Stars Crash THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW!

On Wednesday, February 9, Oprah Winfrey is hosting some of the biggest icons of daytime soaps as part of her own iconic final season. Featured are such touchstones and stars as Luke and Laura's wedding on GENERAL HOSPITAL (guests Anthony Geary and Genie Francis); ultimate diva Erica Kane and her many ALL MY CHILDREN marriages (Susan Lucci is reunited with eight of Erica's mates); AMC supercouple and fan favesDebbi Morgan and Darnell Williams (Angie and Jesse); AMC's infamous Tad the Cad (Michael E. Knight); and the pioneering, enduring Kay Chancellor (Jeanne Cooper) on YOUNG AND RESTLESS. For a preview visit YouTube.

• Members

Isn't the only person no longer on a soap, Genie? It's not like she's including Erica's husbands as legends on their own. They're there as an homage to The Erica Kane. I don't watch Y&R. Is Jeanne Cooper still on that show? Dee Hall is definitely a legend but since she's not on DAYS anymore, Bo and Hope were the next best idea. I don't know why NBC bailed. That was stupid.

• Members

Yes, but that's a big name, probably one of the biggest calling cards of the entire episode, yet in terms of current GH, Laura is treated as a bad memory, if anything at all. I think they could have included someone like Deirdre Hall, but they probably only had so much time.

I love Jeanne Cooper but I do have to admit I wonder what they're going to talk to her about - perhaps her many years in film and TV. She hasn't had anything good on Y&R in quite a while and she was never really the icon that some of the others were in the public mind. I hope they might show some of the clips of Katherine from the 70s.

• Members

Tyler's mentioned (on Oprah and to Barbara Walters) how his mother always used to say, "I wish I could just be like Mrs. Chancellor" (not have to work hard anymore and live in a big house with a maid). When Tyler hit the big time, he made his late mother's wish a reality. :blush:

BTW, I love it when people refer to Katherine as "Mrs. Chancellor" (or Kay), it's a very endearing generational cue. My mom was an ABC girl but she watched the early days of Y&R with her mother and would refer to Mrs. Chancellor and the first bodacious Jill. Fran on The Nanny referred to Mrs. Chancellor on a couple of occasions not including the episode where Jeanne guest-starred.

• Members

I love that, too. EVERYBODY I know who watches or has watched Y&R calls her that, and it does have that sense of reverence. Jeanne Cooper might not be an iconic name, but "Mrs. Chancellor" definitely is.

Millie Jackson did a bit for one of her concerts in the 70s where she talked sh!t about all of the soaps (in that snarky way that only someone who is really a huge fan of them can do) and she spent a considerable amount of time talking about Jill, "Mrs. Chancellor," and "Mom Foster." How can you now love that?

• Members

:lol: Ha, I've got to see that! Millie Jackson is a trip/mess/legend/nasty ass/one of a kind.

Yeah, when I started watching the show beyond catching bits and pieces when my grandmother was watching in the kitchen, it was "Katherine" all the way on message boards and among friends. It was only the older black people in my life who called her Mrs. Chancellor or Kay.

(Or "Kaffrine" :P )

Archived