OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 17

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure that you're supposed to be rooting for Joey or for Natalie. The show has never exactly given these characters special treatment. Joey has been humiliated and emasculated for years, and that is no different this time, where he whines, pouts, is seen as a twit by Clint, and then Cookie Cutter comes in and is the hot, edgy guy who is supposed to have all the spark with Aubrey and Kelly. If fans love Cutter and see Joey as a loser, that just means the show gets to do what they enjoy doing, which is to write even more stories about peripheral characters who have no real past and no characterization beyond how they fill out a pair of boxers.

Natalie has lied for many months, with John and Jessica both presented as the innocents. Marty has been crazy, but they built up to this for quite a while, and she's going to get psychiatric help. I think the story was about making Brody, Marty and Natalie look bad, to give story to characters who cannot drive story themselves (John and Jessica). When the truth comes out I will be shocked if either of these ladies has John. I think he will be freed up for Inez or some other cipher.

• Members

Back to points made by Vizion and Carl, I also don't feel as though Joey is being written and acted as rootable. It's hard to root for someone who comes across as an easy mark. He seems weak, but worst of all, kinda stupid, and we shouldn't be screaming, "Joey, you big dummy!" at the screen, that's not Joey. That's Inez. :P Vizion, I see what you're saying as far as the traditional reversal where Aubrey falls for Joe for real, Kelly and Cutter fall for each other despite their original intentions. I just don't like the idea of Kelly showing weak will and falling for Cutter against her better judgment. I feel like it's just going to be more silly Ally McBeal hijinks. She is just so damn neurotic sometimes it gets on my nerves.

That's just it, of the four he (legacy character be damned) is the one I see them getting rid of first.

• Members

It's very clever though - they know how to play this game. All the soaps do, especially ABC soaps. They bring in a member of a core family and make sure no one cares about them. Then they can say, "See? Fans don't want this person around." And that means more of a chance to bring in wannabe alpha males who have no ties to the canvas yet are shoehorned in at every turn.

Archived