CNN: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot

Adam

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh God :( This has been building for a long time. She was also in the middle of the ugly immigration debates that have roiled Arizona. She also faced threats after the health care vote.

I remember last year when so many pooh-pooed the idea that members of Congress were in danger, that the threats against them were just "free speech."

Perhaps now, with the first member of Congress to be assassinated in over 30 years, people will realize it's not just "free speech."

My prayers to her loved ones.

• Members

When you look at the nature of those town halls during the healthcare debate over the summer, a shooting was going to happen in a matter of time. I hope her and the other victims pull through. My sympathies to the family of the 9 year old child and the family of the judge that has passed away.

What makes this even more upsetting is that the warning signs were there, the political atmosphere has been downright hostile for the past four years.

• Members

Well, now that you meniton it, I ran across this a few momentrs ago: "Media sources noted that Giffords was one of the U.S. Congresspersons whom Sarah Palin, a former candidate for Vice President of the U.S., had placed on a 'target map' using images of gun sights."

• Members

Here's some more: There is no evidence at this time that the shooting of Giffords was politically motivated, but it's grimly ironic that the candidate appeared on a map of House Democrats "targeted" by Palin in 2010. The map controversially used actual target markers on locations these Democrats lived and listed their names.

Archived