CNN: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot

Adam

• Members

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun." --Barack Obama in 2008 discussing dealing with Republican legislators.

Let me know if this gentleman meets acceptable standards as an individual with political power anywhere near that of Sarah Palin. Then let me know if you find that statement appropriate...

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beyond all this partisan stuff, what got me when I was reading about many of those who were dead and wounded was how many of those involved were over 60 years old. Two of the three or four people who subdued the shooter were over 60. One was 74 and had been grazed in the back of the head! Three of the fatalities were in their 70s. It really shows how involved the older generations are in politics, and how they were, as it turns out, even willing to sacrifice their lives. I wonder how many in my generation and younger really know that and would be willing to do the same. I hope that the courageous story of that poor 9 year old girl might be seen as a reason for more people to become interested in politics. But more likely a lot of people will never want to attend these types of events again.

• Members

I know, Carl. The stories coming out of this are remarkable. They were interviewing the elderly woman who managed to grab the magazine of bullets out of his hand before he could reload. That is just amazing. And yes, the little girl wanting to learn about politics. As a political science student that strikes me deeply. Its so rare young people these days in the 18-15 demographic care enough about politics to attend an event, let alone a 9 year old. I teared up listening to her parents on the news talk about that. Really struck a chord with me.

• Members

well, considering 4000 americans and tens of thousands of Iraqis did die because Dick Cheney took us into a war of choice so his Oil friends could make billions, I'd say the Bill Mahar comment was right on the money. I salute Bill Mahar for saying that, and it is only a shame more people don't say it. A truly evil man and it is frightening that he was VP.

And comedy routines, theater reviews for the Village Voice..this is what you are claiming is the equivalent of Sarah Palin. No, the equivalent would be Hillary, Bill...someone of that stature...only they aren't the hate peddler she is, or Rush is.

• Members

The kind of exchanges going on in here are a major reason why politics has such a negative stigma attached to it and why so many people are disengaged, disinterested and turned off. I am so glad I am a Canadian. Its not nearly as black and white as it has become in the USA. The partisan ship in Washington and in this thread is disgusting.

• Members

How about this? Do you find it appropriate by the way?

The shootings have reignited debate over the increasing use of incdendiary and often violent language in U.S. politics. [John] Boehner faced criticism last year for saying that then-Rep. Steve Dreihaus (D-Ohio) "may be a dead man" because he voted in favor of President Obama's health-care overhaul. "He can't go home to the west side of Cincinnati," Boehner told The National Review.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/01/john-boehner-decries-attacks-i.html

Or how about this quote from Glenn Beck...

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong?"

By the way, he also had this to say:

"When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining."

• Members

And a few from Ann Coulter:

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

"We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' creme brulee. That's just a joke, for you in the media."

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women. It also makes the point, it is kind of embarrassing, the Democratic Party ought to be hanging its head in shame, that it has so much difficulty getting men to vote for it. I mean, you do see it's the party of women and 'We'll pay for health care and tuition and day care -- and here, what else can we give you, soccer moms?'"

My point with all of this is that the rheotic really needs to be toned by EVERYONE in this country before things get even more out of hand than they already are.

BTW, this is just sick: http://www.casavaria.com/cafesentido/2011/01/10/7184/tea-party-express-raising-money-from-giffords-shooting/

• Members

I always wondered what would make Sarah Palin finally STFU. Apparently all it took was the senseless slaughter of innocent people. I can't believe that there are people who think she would make a good president. I can't believe anyone thought she would be a good mayor. What we're seeing now is a perfect example of how Palin behaves in the face of adversity: she hides. The Quitter doesn't know how to function away from her adoring throng.

Archived