CNN: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot

Adam

• Members

Oh give me a friggin break! It's this mindless "I'm right, you're wrong" crap that got us HERE in the first place. I have a novel idea, why don't politician's shut the hell up, stop fighting and start working for the people? Isn't that what they're supposed to do? NOTHING gets done in this country because the sides think the other is wrong. I don't even know if either side knows what they truly stand for anymore, because I all I ever hear is why such and such side is right and the other side is wrong.

Bull! Both sides broke it, like it or hate it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sarah Palin targeted Gabrielle Giffords on her crosshairs map and then she was shot in the head. That's a fact. Even if the shooting was completely unrelated, I think it's impossible to look at this situation and not connect those dots.

In the aftermath of a tragedy, it's completely natural for people to ask "why?" and want to know where blame should be placed. Sarah Palin, unfortunately, brought this on herself by using violent gun-related imagery in a campaign that specifically targeted the actual person who got shot. Perhaps that's just a coincidence, but even if Loughner wasn't inspired by Palin, it's impossible to look at this situation and not think to yourself, "Alright... maybe it's time for Sarah to put a cork in it." It's simple cause-and-effect.

Yes, there are people on both sides of the aisle who do and say irresponsible things, but none of those people's voices are as loud as Sarah's. She's the star of the show. She's the one with the cult following. People hang on to her every word. Therefore, she needs to be extra cautious with the things she says. When you're putting crosshairs on people's heads and telling your followers to "reload" and "aim high," you're taking a very big risk because you never know what kind of lunatic is listening. And if, tragically, something does happen to a person you've targeted with violent rhetoric, you need to expect that people are going to look at YOU and wonder if maybe you're to blame. Look no further than the tragedy in Tucson as proof.

• Members

It looks like the shootings have made it more likely politicians will start carrying guns (a few already do). I wonder if this will prevent violence. I hope it does, but with the climate today they might just start shooting at each other.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0111/Gohmert_drafts_bill_to_allow_guns_on_House_floor.html

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2011/01/13/nh_republicans_wont_try_to_repeal_gay_marriage_law/

• Members

Getting away from the fingerpointing for a moment, can we just give a collective "Hell yeah! You go girl! Don't call it a comeback cause she's been here for years!" to Gabrielle Giffords. Girlfriend's practically a Marvel comics superhero! No matter where you fall on the political spectrum, you gotta admit she's a miracle.

• Members

how can even more people carrying guns prevent violence? And a gun whack job is a gun whack job even if he is elected. What will these congressmen do when a gunman starts shooting from the crowd, return fire and play "Starsky and Hutch"?

And it shows you just how obscene these gun people are, that in the wake of the shooting sales of this particular gun have gone through the roof. And I say this as an elitist New Yorker--not a real American according to republicans and woefully out of touch with Jesus and real American values--we have strict gun laws here and NYC is the safest city in America with crime rates lower than Mayberry or wherever these politicians crawl out from.

Archived