CNN: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot

Adam

• Members
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is beyond sickening that the ultra liberal posters on this board are automatically assuming that this mentally disturbed gunman is a Republican/Tea Partier, even though no evidence so far has indicated this to be the case.

And thank you, GoldenDogs, for injecting some much needed balance and rationality into this discussion.

• Members

Exactly. And if someone can come up with them I challenge that person to show me how they have been embraced, lauded and celebrated the same way.

I'm sick of watching the same people who have fetishized revolution like it's a fantasy football league pretend this lunatic acted in a vacuum. He didn't. He's a sick paranoid man but that paranoia was fed and fanned by people shrieking about the "gold standard" and "they're coming to take your freedoms."

If you fill the air with smoke, you can't blame the other guy when he coughs. If you pour toxic waste into the water, people get cancer. The Tea Party and Fox are just a different kind of polluter.

• Members

Yes, because anytime I think of Sarah Palin, National Queen of all Republicans who makes and breaks careers and candidates, I immediately think of Wanda Sykes as her counterpart. It's true, VP nominee and largest fundraiser and hero of the Tea Party on one side...and a member of the St Petersburg Democratic Club is now her opposite number. Glad we cleared this up.

• Members

You asked and you received, yet you still take issue with the information? I don't have a problem with your partisanship, q-fan, but I think it's ridiculous that once presented with the information YOU requested, you then began to discount it immediately. How 'bout you attempt to address the propriety of the comments made by those from the left that I have listed rather than some lame attempt at a dodge?

Of course, we could all just drop this entire discussion and move on to more important topics... like, of course, the Johnny Weir thread...

• Members

There are violent rhetoric coming from both sides, I don't deny that.

However, out of all the people you listed Golden Dogs on the left who made such statements, none of them have had the popularity and media publicity that Sarah Palin has had. None of them were criticized like Palin was when she used such rhetoric, and when criticized, what did Palin do? She ignored the criticisms and amped up the rhetoric. But it goes beyond Palin, this recent midterm election proves that the Republicans had the media outlet in the palm of their hands, the spotlight was on them, and what did they do? They ignored warnings about their amped up rhetoric and profited off of it. I think the issue here is, that with right's increased media presence and criticisms, they ignored highly publicized warnings about their statements. I'm sure if any one of the left's superstars, such as the President, Michele Obama, or even Hillary had used such blatant violent rhetoric they would be criticized just as much as Palin is now, because like Palin, when they speak, the media listens, as does the constituency. All the people you listed on the left don't have the same star power as some as Sarah Palin, with increased fame, there comes a certain sense of responsibility about what you put out there. Even more so, when you repeatedly use such rhetoric more than once, almost as a campaign slogan, don't be surprised when something does in fact happens, fingers are pointed in your direction.

• Members

absolutely, and none of those people Brian listed have anywhere NEAR the political power that Sarah Palin has. I've heard some reports saying that the shooter was upset about illegal immigration. Someone should have told him illegal immigration is NOT the fault of our government. Our government doesn't hire these people.

• Members

The fact that it appears this individual was allegedly planning to assassinate Giffords shows this man had political motivations. Disturbed and an unbalanced mind, yes.... but politically motivated none-the less. I don't think that legitimizes left-right pot shots, but it certainly legitimizes discussion on the nasty, partisan political climate partly fueled by hateful rhetoric in the USA the last little while.

Archived