CNN: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot

Adam

• Members

Apparently the shooter was war veteran from the Afghanistan war? I remember when this report came out, Janet Napolitano was ripped by her critics for standing with such a report. However in the face of today's events, it seems as if the report was right.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/16/napolitano-stands-rightwing-extremism/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's send some extra thoughts, prayers, whatever out to the innocent bystanders injured or killed by this lunatic. These were people who cared enough and were involved enough in their community to show up at a Safeway with the intention of meeting their elected representative, in short they were practicing democracy in it's purest form. The fact that it cost them their health or lives should sicken us all regardless of which side of the aisle we sit on.

• Members

Sounds like she is going to pull through, thank god. Boy did some of those news organizations get ahead of themselves on that one. I had forgot about Sarah Palin's "hit list"..... wonder how she is feeling right about now.

• Members

And beyond that, her biography reveals further the sort of "Democrat" Gabrielle Giffords is:

It is understood Ms Giffords was a pro-abortion campaigner who had received death threats after supporting President Obama’s controversial healthcare bill. Her constituency office was vandalised at the time.

But she also supported the gun lobby in the US and owned one herself, ironically a Glock, the make used by her would-be assassin.

She is a member of the so-called 'Blue Dog' coalition of Democrats who push for conservative budget and tax policies and served on the House's Armed Services, Foreign Affairs and Science and Technology committees.

Mrs Giffords differed with many Democrats on issues such as gun control. A long-time gun owner, Giffords supported the Second Amendment to the Constitution on the right of Americans to bear arms, according to her official biography.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345386/Gabrielle-Giffords-shot-Congresswoman-fighting-life-Arizona-gunman-identified-Jared-Loughner.html

Next thing I'll see here is that BUSH did it. Come on, dear friends... Get off the wacko right-wing crap. This nutjob acted not for politics, but because he is simply a freakin' idiot.

Thanks for listening and allowing me to comment.

B

• Members

I've heard comments to the effect of - I know you aren't saying this GoldenDogs, I mean elsewhere - that she didn't support strong control measures so that means her shooting was somehow deserved. I don't really believe that strong gun control measures would have done anything to stop this man. People can always find guns.

I doubt Sarah Palin's name would have been brought up if not for the crosshairs thing. It got a ton of attention last year as many people worried about possible ramifications. Even if it had nothing to do with this man's motives, I'm not surprised this would be in memory banks.

• Members

I think the part that pisses me off about the whole "bringing up Sarah Palin" thing is that all I've seen all day long through my Twitter stream and through comments posted on news sites is people saying, "Aren't you happy now, Sarah? Great job, great job." Barely any concern about the Congresswoman or her recovery. Let's just attack Sarah Palin and the teaparty because they are to blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong under Obama's administration.

People fail to understand that this stupid, illiterate, "wishes she were a good ole boy from the south/midwest" Conservative Palin (and the teaparty) stay in the headlines is because of crazy ass liberals who blame her(and them) for everything, including this kid's rampage.

• Members

I see what you mean, but I think even Giffords had said she was concerned. Her father after she was shot said the Tea Party were her enemies. That doesn't mean they had anything to do with this but the ugly climate which they helped create over the last few years is still strong enough that people immediately look in that direction. I do agree with you that the focus should be on the people responsible and on the recovery of those who were injured, and not Palin or the Tea Party.

Archived