Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• Members

It's interesting & it adds a dimension but it really is splitting a hair. Bottom line, once they refused to go forward with those 2 storylines, she was outta there. 

Also, and this may just be piling on. But I believe that she was quite cognizant that doing LIAMST pushed her over into doing work for the third of 3 networks. She & Fred Silverman were the first to work for all 3. But, once she'd done it, she didn't have to keep on doing it. 

Very interesting that she was angry with Bill Bell and absolutely sounds like her. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

true — but i suspect that if it hadn’t been those two storylines, she would have found another reason to leave.

and, this may be an unpopular opinion, but i gotta say i think cbs made the right call re those storylines. by all accounts, they were unpopular with viewers, and, and yes,  i’m award that a good deal of tha pushback on mia was likely due to anti-asian bias, i also think there may have been conservative catholic viewers who objected to the nun storyline. 

but, as one of the variety articles referenced upthread notes: cbs was on the verge of cancelling the show. so, change the storylines or cancel the show?

• Members

Oh, yeah, I knew that was your point!! And, you might be completely correct! 

I am sure there would have been Roman Catholic pushback! 

To me it is just like P&G saying they were going to let Pete Lemay do a gay story way back when & then after preparations were made, pulling the greenlight. It's not that they didn't go forward with the controversial issue, it's how they went about it. So to me they never should have gone along in development as if they were going to do this, that they were already squirrelly about. That's just leading the creative types down a garden path which is going to fall right off a cliff! 

And, endgame, always drop the story & try to save the show. 

• Members

Okay. That's interesting. Thanks. So much for that theory. 

Dan, Look! 

In 1964 ABC put Irna on the payroll as a special consultant for its primetime soap PEYTON PLACE. By taking that job, Phillips was the 1st to receive paychecks from shows running on all 3 networks.

I knew but I forgot I knew! So funny. My memory is like evil twins. One is laser sharp focus & remembers amazing things. The other is like HUH? What do you want? Leave me alone. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
combine 2 posts

• Members

Apparently Irna quit the show about a month after it went to air, so unless she expected it to be #1 in its timeslot in the first few weeks, the theory that bad ratings were the motive doesn't ring true. And LIAMST was not losing half of ATWT audience.

i think its more likely that there was pushback about the 2 stories and backtracking from the execs . Irna could see where this was going and quit.

• Members

Yes in the mid 60's ATWT was getting shares in the 50's but by 67 it had settled down a bit, as competition increased from Let's Make  A Deal

2 weeks ending August 6 1967/ 2 weeks previous/coverage -  a few weeks before LIAMST thing debuted

1. As The World Turns  10.9/39 (11.5/41) 99.3

10. Let's Make A Deal 8.6/31 (7.5/27) 86.7

At 2pm

9. Newlywed Game 8.7/33 (8.7/33) 97.8

17. Days of Our Lives 8.0/30 (7.4/28) 95.6

20. Password 7.9/30 (7.8/30) 98.0

Variety October 11th 1967

In its 2nd week Love Is A Many Splendored Thing had a 7.6 to be beaten by DOOL 8.3

So doing roughly what Password had been doing. However I suspect the demographics would have been better. A 7.6 would probably mean around a 27 share so not half of ATWT rating or share.

Variety Feb 7 1968 ' ...Miss Phillips quit the new serial 'Love Is A Many Splendored Thing' back in October, P&G asked her to return to "Guiding Light'.

• Members

Ms. Phillips had written Another World when the ratings were poor.   Poor ratings were nothing new to her.   I doubt that these ratings on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing would have phased her or been the sole reason to leave the show.   But interference from others would have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had not known until this morning that acter/writer Ed Moore had created the role of Dr. John Hale on this show.

Mr. Moore was a terrific actor in my opinion!   He played a role on Love of Life (which I did not see) and was later on Loving as Steve's father.   I thought that the show (Loving) used him very effectively, but I would have liked it if he had been utilized even more!    He later was cast to play Mary Tyler Moore's husband on a primetime CBS comedy, but he was replaced by a bigger-name star.

• Members

Message from Robert "Bobby" Hennessy regarding his LIAMST role:

"I have a fairly good recollection of LIAMST. (Not a lot of other stuff!). That soap was one of the first big jobs that I was in the running for. I recall being screen tested with Donna Mills for the role that ultimately went to Shawn Campbell. He and I competed for many roles in those days and we each won our share. It was a friendly competition. Then I did a background-type of part on the show prior to getting the role of Paul Monroe on WTHI. Then, of course, The Doctors.."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Donna, that actress in the opening scene with Ms. McKensie is Sasha von Schurler.  She was the late wife of Paul Avilla Mayer. 

The role of Ramona the nurse was created for Ms. von Schurler to play, but she did not appear on Ryan's Hope.   I am not sure why she decided not to play the role.

She did appear, later, as Jane (Brooke's birth mother) on All My Children.