Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• Members

I do not remember Chandler Garrison as a publisher.  My memory is only that he was a retired wealthy man.  He had divorced his first wife Margaret (Flora Campbell) and then later married Jean (who had a son, Andy Hurley).  

Spencer Garrison, to me, was not torn between two women.   He did not seem to want his first wife, Nancy (Susan Browning, who was wonderful in the role in my opinion).   He did, though, have guilt in leaving his home due to the love of his daughter, whose name I have temporarily forgotten.

Didn't producer Peter Minor's daughter play the daughter of Nancy and Spencer?

Although I never saw A Flame in the Wind/A Time for Us, I had long thought of the similarity of the two stories.    Two sisters fell in love with the same man on both shows.    I had attributed that similarity to Irna Phillips, who created Love Is a Many Splendored Thing and was the executive story editor on A Flame in the Wind/A Time for Us.     I also seem to think that the Sims sisters on A World Apart (aired later on ABC) would have also eventually fallen for someone and would have competed against each other.

(I did see the episode of A Time for Us that is on YouTube.)

I guess that I had not thought about Don Ettinger because I was not aware that he had worked on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.    I was thinking that he had written The Secret Storm or Love of Life at one time.

Also, I am pretty sure that Ann Marcus created the Chernak family.   Diana Douglas, in her autobiography, said that, after being cast as Lily Chernak, she was told by Ann Marcus (at a chance encounter) that she looked nothing like the image of Lily in the mind of Ms. Marcus and that she would never have hired her to play Lily.

I don't think that Joseph Hardy was still producing Love Is a Many Splendored Thing when Ms. Marcus was writing the show, but I don't know for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

#31 – Tuesday, October 30th 1967

At the Donnellys’, Laura insisted to her brother Tom that she had to go back to the convent. Tom wished she would wait for their dad to come back but Laura felt conflicted : the more she stayed, the more her past life was haunting her. She wanted to remain Sister Cecelia. Tom convinced her to remain one more night.

In Dr. Jim Abbott’s office, Tom said he couldn’t understand why Laura insisted she go back to the convent so quickly. Tom felt his sister was running from something. Jim assured it could be difficult for her as she was about to say her vows and she was still young. Jim added that Tom had to let Laura know he would support her.

After dinner, Iris went to Tom’s den. Tom asked Iris to stay with Laura for the night as he had to work and thought she shouldn’t be alone. Iris was irritated to cut her date with Mark short.

At her apartment, Iris told Mark about Tom wanting her to spend the night with Laura. She didn’t understand why Tom worried about their sisters all of a sudden. Tom admitted he talk to Laura a previous day when she went to visit his mother but she didn’t tell him much. Iris insisted to know more but Tom avoided the subject with tender gestures and kisses.

Iris came home. She talked with Laura about her desire to leave for the convent soon. Laura got angry and said Iris couldn’t understand.

#32 – Wednesday, October 31st 1967

At the Donnellys’, Laura wrote her convent address for Mia who wanted to write to her. She had drawn a madonna which Laura could give Mother Superior the day she said her vows. Laura said Tom was busy working on the Terry Andrews case but he would drive her back to the convent soon. They talked about Ricky celebrating Halloween and Mia didn’t know much about this tradition. Mia then left to meet Dr. Abbott.

At the hospital, Mia told Jim there were rumors she was his favorite student as he allowed her to do a visit alone. When Mia asked when Dr. Donnelly would be back from his conference, Jim admitted that Will was not a convention, he had an operation on his leg and didn’t want to let his family know.

In their bedroom, Phil and Helen Elliot talked about Terry’s death. Helen felt sorry for Mrs. Porter. Phil said Tom was looking for something to tie Jock Porter to Terry. Helen then went to see Mark, who had come home early that night. Mark told his mother that Iris had to go back to Tom’s to spend Laura’s last night with her. Helen emphasized Laura’s sense of duty compared to Iris’ lack of some. Helen went back to her room and Phil came to talk to Mark and apologize. He said that he thought it was Mark who was tracing Terry to Chicago but it was John Porter.

Later that night, Mia and Mark both couldn’t find sleep. Mark questioned Mia about Paul who seemed to be a serious suitor. Mia was more interested in her work and enjoyed spending time with Dr. Abbott.

• Members

#36 – Wednesday, November 6th 1967

In Laura’s room, Will arrived. Laura asked her father if he rushed back when Tom told him she had left the convent. He assured he didn’t. Laura explained she couldn’t go through her vow rehearsal. She didn’t know how she would adjust to be back to normal life. Will told her she should buy some casual clothes. When Laura questioned Will about his convention, he was evasive.

Laura came downstairs. Iris was there and Laura hoped they could spend some time together but Iris had to go back to work after lunch. Laura wondered if Will might be disappointed in her choice. She also felt that Iris didn’t approve. Iris said she didn’t know what to think but she didn’t judge Laura. She just thought her sister would have trouble adjusting in normal world.

Tom came back for work and asked Laura how her day was. He encouraged her to embrace her new life. Will arrived and joined Tom in the kitchen. They talked about Laura. Will then told his son he wasn’t attending a convention but was in Baltimore to have surgery for a blood clot in his leg. Even if the surgery was successful, Will had to slow down but he was afraid of feeling useless. Tom offered Will to come at his place and help with Laura and Ricky. Will agreed but asked Tom not to tell Iris and Laura about his health issues. Only Jim Abbott knew.

Ricky was at the Elliot’s. He told Mark that Laura had called his mother to get some things she didn’t have time to shop. Ricky explained to Mark that Laura left the convent and that she would be staying with Tom and Ricky. After Ricky left, Mark flashbacked to when he and Laura said their goodbye the previous week.

#37 – Thursday, November 7th 1967

The following morning in the Elliot’s kitchen, Helen served Mark breakfast. She heard him come back late the previous night. Mark said he had a date with Iris. Helen wondered if they talked about Laura but Mark was evasive. He finally admitted he had a fight with Iris who didn’t think her sister couldn’t adjust to be back in normal life.

Phil came back home. Helen told him Mark came home late the previous night. She hated the fact Mark dated Iris, whom she saw as a very selfish girl. Phil thought Helen should let Mark live his life. They talked about Tom’s investigation on Terry Andrews. He had found in the Porters’ safety deposit box a tax report which proved that the Porters took in students for free board and room in exchange fort part-time help. In these documents, Tom and Phil learned Jim Abbott once stayed at the Porters’.

At the hospital, Jim encouraged Will to go back home as he had to slow down and was expected at his son’s for dinner. Jim had asked Mia to go with him at the opera. Will was amused.

After the opera, Jim and Mia were drinking champagne. They exchanged about the love story they had seen. Jim said doctors shouldn’t forget about love and Mia reminded Jim they had to work early on the following day. Jim drove Mia back at the Elliots’. She thanked him for the night. Jim said he was not very good with people, maybe due to his life in an orphanage. Mia thought she had inherited an out-going personality from her mother. Jim smiled and said Mia good night.

• Members

The decision to hire Ira and Jane Avery as writers on this show was a very good one.

Although I did not view their work on The Secret Storm, I hear that they were great writers on that thow.

I did see their work on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing following the departure of Irna Nixon, and they created some really, really wonderful storylines!

I understand that this show was originally a production of Twentieth-Century Fox.    That company owned Peyton Place, on which Irna Phillips worked in the early devolopment.  I also understand that the company sold daytime's Love Is a Many Splendored Thing to CBS (which later purchased Love of Life and The Secret Storm from American Home Products).   Who long did Twentieth-Century Fox own this show before CBS owned it?

• Members

#41 – Wednesday, November 13th 1967

Paul visited Mark in his architect office. Mark was not happy with his work, creating cheap building. Paul had a day off flying and was looking for Mia. Paul was no longer living with his parents since they reacted in a racist way about Paul seeing Mia but Paul felt like Mia was avoiding him. Paul added he knew Mia had gone to the opera with Dr. Jim Abbott. He could understand that as he was out of town a lot of time.

Jim entered Will’s office and was not happy to find him working. They talked about Laura who would like to find a job. Jim offered to talk to Laura and give her advice.

Will had moved into Tom’s house. Ricky was in his grandfather’s room. He told him that kids were asking questions about Laura at school. He hit a guy who said Laura was fired from the convent. Will tried to explain Ricky that Laura didn’t do anything wrong.

At Iris’, Mark and Iris came back from the movies. Iris was in a bad mood since she learned that Mark made Terry Andrews pregnant. Mark said it happened long before he started dating Iris. Iris was hurt and Mark admitted she might deserve someone better than he was. He also assured Iris he didn’t want any other girl at the moment and Iris said she only wanted to hear that. She wanted Mark to say he loved her but he asked for no pushing.

#42 – Thursday, November 14th 1967

Laura and Iris were having coffee in the Donnellys’ living room. Iris tried to convince her sister she should wear some better clothes and some make up. If not, she would scare men away but Laura would like Iris to realize they were different women and there would be no man in Laura’s life for the moment. Iris said she was hoping to marry Mark soon even if his mother didn’t like her. The doorbell rang. It was Helen who was visiting Laura and Iris left.

Helen wanted to help Laura with her wardrobe too and her ideas were least outrageous than Iris’. She told Laura she always felt a soft spot for her especially as her own daughter died. Helen noticed she would probably never get along with Iris. Mia arrived to visit Laura and Helen went back home. Mia and Laura had a talk about their lives. Mia assured Laura that wanting to be a doctor didn’t keep her from wanting to be a woman too.

After dinner, Laura brought coffee to Tom in his den. He was trying to reach Mrs. Porter. Laura said she would attend a baseball game with Will and Ricky. Tom was happy she was going out and he decided to go to the Porters’.

Tom arrived at the Porters’. Jock Porter was having a party. Tom asked to see Mrs. Alex Porter on a police business but Jock was jocking about it. Tom wanted Mrs. Porter to check the list of students she and her husband once had under their roof. Maybe some connection could help Tom find out about Terry as Mr. Porter was looking for her too. Mrs. Porter reluctantly gave Tom her husband’s notebook and Jock introduced himself to Tom as John and Alex Porter’s son.

After Tom left, Alex and Jock Porter talked about Terry Andrews’ disappearance. They clearly weren’t sad John Porter was dead while looking for the girl. Alex didn’t like being a fool as her late husband was pining for younger girls. Alex decided she had to talk to Dr. Abbott and Jock wondered if it was necessary.

#52 – Wednesday, November 29th 1967

In the Elliots’ kitchen, Mark and Phil were having breakfast. Phil had come home late the previous night as he was working with Tom on the Terry Andrews’ case. Phil asked Mark if he was sure he told him everything he knew about Terry but Mark assured he did.

In Will’s office at the hospital, Jim asked Will if he could talk to him as a friend. Will thought it was about Mia. Jim admitted he didn’t see her only as a student but he was so used to burying himself into work. Will noticed something else was bothering Jim but Jim couldn’t say more.

Will had joined Tom in his den. Tom said police had traced the blanket in which Terry’s body was wrapped in. It came from a motel near the airport. Angelo from the police then called Tom. He had found out that John Porter had donated $10.000 to Jim Abbott’s fertility center. Tom wondered why Jim didn’t mention it.

Mark and Mia were having a drink in a restaurant. Mia told her cousin that Laura was a great help at the hospital. She was really becoming a good nurse’s aid. Mia noticed Mark was very fond of Laura. She asked him if he loved Iris. He answered he liked her and admitted he and Iris were both noticing it was not really love. Mia asked about his feelings for Laura but Mark said it didn’t matter because he would fool himself. Mark said he wanted to talk about Paul who visited him a week ago about Mia. Mia admitted she liked Paul as a friend but could never be in love with him. Mark asked about Jim but Mia said she would go back to Hong Kong after her training so it would be a bad idea.

Will visited Iris at her apartment. He told her he saw on the newspaper that she was socializing with Jock Porter. He also asked Iris if she could make up with Laura because they had a fight recently. Iris agreed.

#54 – Friday, December 1st 1967

In her apartement, Iris was cleaning when Mark arrived. He was unhappy that Iris snapped at Laura. Iris was angry that Laura told Mark about it. After Mark left, Iris took a drink.

Tom was at Mrs. Porter’s. She said she had no idea what her late husband was doing in Chicago and she didn’t know about his possible relationship with Terry Andrews. Tom questioned her about the $10.000 her husband donated to Jim Abbott’s fertility center in July 1966. Alex was clever enough to lead Tom away as she feigned ignorance about her husband’s doings. Jock arrived. Alex asked Jock if he knew anything about the donation but Jock laughed he didn’t. As Tom left, Jock asked him to give Iris his best. Alex wondered what the police might know exactly. Jock decided he should see Iris.

Iris told Alex she didn’t want to go out. He offered to see each other the following day. Tom arrived at his sister’s. He noticed she was drunk and Iris admitted she was afraid she was losing Mark. Tom told Iris she also shouldn’t stay away from Jock Porter. She said she rebuffed his date offer for the night. Iris then left to find Mark.

Mark and Iris were in her car. They were having a fight when Mark noticed she had a few drinks and she was driving too fast. Iris was fed up with everybody lecturing her. Mark said she was an hysterical mess. She then crashed the car.

#55 – Monday, December 4th 1967

At the hospital, Dr. Fairbanks was tending Mark after his car crash. His arm was particuarly injured. Mark asked for Iris and a nurse said she wasn’t physically hurt but Dr. Fairbanks said she was at the police station.

In the hospital lobby, Helen was worried sick. She blamed Iris who was driving the car. Phil tried to calm her down as Mark was drunk too apparently. Dr. Fairbanks joined and told them Mark’s arm was fractured but he was lucky to be alive. Laura arrived and Helen told her Mark would be alright.

Iris was at a night court with Tom. The judge put a $5.000 bail as Iris was charged with drunken and reckless driving. Tom agreed to pay.

Laura went into Mark’s room. He was still confused because of the sedatives he was given. Laura explained Tom was phoned at home because of the accident and that’s why she came to see how Mark was doing. Laura assured Mark his parents were there and Helen was relieved since she had seen him. Mark began hallucinating and thought he was still in Vietnam. Laura calmed him down. She assured she would visit him often. After she left his room, Mark wondered if it was fate.

Iris arrived back at her place where Jock was waiting for her. He said he heard from the car crash from the radio at the club. Iris said she wanted to be alone. Jock mellowed. He said he could probably help her with her boss which could fire her because of her driving under influence. He planned for her some drink with an egg to calm her hangover.

• Members

Leslie Charleston was so good as Iris!    But I have read that she was offered the role and began playing the step-daughter of Donald Hughes (after having appeared on A Time for Us), but she left the show because she refused to sign a two-year contract.

So, I have been curious about why she signed a contract to appear on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.

• Members

Weird to think that she didn’t want to sign a 2 year contract yet stayed like half her life on GH.. Maybe she wanted to try out new things and didn’t felt at home there like she did with GH. She was young and the young women and men always want to branch out and a 2 year deal is quite hindering