Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Is there a clip somewhere from 12/23/94 with Katherine arriving to see Nina, Ryan and Phillip? I remember seeing it once, but it's not in the Vault clips or full eps.

Walter could always come back from the dead to haunt Nikki!

However, I did see the 1/4/80 ep when I visited the Paley Center for TV, in their viewing room. This ep features Nikki, Rose and Vince in a car with Walter, who is looking pretty darn dead, and in fact Rose was blasting the heat to make it harder for the coroner to determine time-of-death. Soon after they dumped the body in an alley, the police came across it. So... I think Walter is forever sleeping with the fishes.

• Members

OR...Rose and Vince (and Walter!) were putting on an elaborate show with the heater and everything in order to fool Nikki.  The three might have even killed some vagrant who bore a passing resemblance to Walter, dressed him up in Walter's clothes, planted some I.D. on him and then switched him out in that alley before the police discovered him and when Nikki wasn't around.

You're welcome, Josh!   

• Members

Actor Paul Savior who played Walter Addison died in 2021. He was also on GH as Tom Baldwin 1969-1972 and had short term role on Days and Edge Of Night. 

A few years ago I saw the clip where he collapsed with the heart attack in the hotel room with Nikki. His acting was campy during the attack that it reminded me of something Harvey Korman would have done on The Carol Burnett Show.....LOL

• Members

Walter Addison, as we would find out, was actually a deacon at his church, who had never been with a prostitute before, but who used the encounter with Nikki as a means of staging his own death, on account of his business associate framing him for embezzlement, lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm so glad I asked about Nikki in the March 1980 promo! 

I had seen Rose DeVille in Nina's original run, but didn't realize she had prior history with Nikki or with Chris Brooks. Fascinating.  Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions.

And I thought Rose looked familiar but I wasn't sure why I recognized the actress because I hadn't seen Rose since the 1980s.  So glad to learn from reading that she was played by Darlene Conley.  So *that* is why Rose looks familiar in that old promo -- it's from me watching redheaded Darlene in B&B classics during 2020 pandemic repeats.  I didn't make the connection because Rose was a brunette.

LOL I am enjoying reading this snarky faux storyline of what happened after Nikki's encounter with Rose, Walter, and Vince.  Hilarious.  

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Well he wasn't dead when they dumped him. Poor Tony Baker mugged him while he was on the ground in that alley way and got caught by the cops, the courts determined Addison died from the shock of being mugged. Tony went to prison for 30 years or so and Nikki didn't even get arrested. 

There's your story Tony comes back to seek revenge on Nikki......and then it turns out the crooked cops were working with Rose and Vince and Walter was alive the whole time.

• Members

Greg Foster is probably in on it, too, because of all the time he wasted as Tony Baker's attorney, searching for the "mysterious blonde girl" who was seen with Walter Addison shortly before the mugging.  Greg even helped with the police sketch of the mysterious blonde girl who looked SHOCKINGLY like Melody Thomas in the closing credits!  

Rose was an offbeat and interesting villain.  She had BIG HAIR, bright red lipstick, bright red fingernails, very poor grammar, and was often seen in "inner-city remote sequences", disposing of a corpse or making a getaway from the police.  She was normally in a BIG CAR, an aging Cadillac DeVille, which made us wonder if she'd named herself for the Cadillac sedan.  She had no class, no money, and was willing to engage in any underhanded and illegal scheme to make a few bucks.  

In her first go-round in the summer of 1979, she operated a shop called "Second Hand Rose Antiques & Pretty Things".  The "pretty things", of course, were the girls she planned to traffic.  She was an absolute wretch.  When Nikki ran across her in late 1979, she was operating "La Plus Belle Rose" (the very beautiful Rose), and the "beautiful things" were girls in lingerie or less.  And you remember her from 1986 when she was peddling black market babies.  

When she went to B&B as Sally Spectra, she basically played the same character -- just not as violent or lawbreaking.  Still, she was that low-rent, low-class type of "broad" who was determined to play in the big leagues with the socially established folks. 

• Members

Honestly, I expected him to pen some type of "redemption" storyline on Y&R for Rose DeVille, and use her more frequently.  Because she was so wretched and seedy, she was strictly a short-term villainess that he couldn't overuse.  But Bill Bell was clearly smitten with the actress (and with the character) so it really made perfect sense that he put her on B&B as a slightly less horrible person with many of the same characteristics as Rose DeVille.  The new role on B&B was more or less her "redemption", I suppose.  

• Members

I’ve kind of realized too though that I think Rose and Vince got away with all their schemes too if I recall?  From the little I’ve seen of Vince he was just as disgusting, and I think even tried to rape one of the teenage mothers in front of her own kids from a January 1987 episode that’s on here. 

That’s an excellent way of putting it, and of course he put “Rose”/Sally up against the Formidable Stephanie Forrester who of course was a worthy foe and foil for Sally, many years to come and vice versa.