Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Ha, yes, Vince was utterly horrid too, and Rose DeVille would often lambast him loudly by calling him a "ninny" or a "stupid fool".  They were like "Honest John" & "Gideon" in Pinocchio, that terrible fox & cat who were always trying to hoodwink Pinocchio.  They typically escaped at the last minute, presumably because Bill Bell had hopes of using them yet again at some point in the future.  He could've easily tied them to the crime syndicate storyline in the early 1980s, but he declined, probably because he'd have to kill them off in a shoot-out.  He waited until all of the mob storylines were over, and they came crawling up again circa 1986 to hold expectant mothers hostage & sell black-market babies -- a crime they could potentially escape from.    

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They went to jail in 1980, which was when the "kill switch" for Cy the assassin went off for Greg which resulted in Liz being shot. Maybe they were there for 6 years. I don't think it's ever mentioned.

Can't remember if they went to prison in 1979 for the sex trafficking. If they did it must have been a light sentence since they were back at it a couple of months later. 

• Members

Haha yeah, I do see the "Honest John and Gideon" comparison!

Please register in order to view this content

Funny enough Pinocchio must have driven some inspiration for Bill Bell, and writing for Rose, since the movie deals with child trafficking. Thankfully we didn't get any of that on the show.

In 1995 I think the show was about to revisit the whole Rose angle, or at least they were toying with bringing on Nina's stolen baby....I wish Bill Bell would have gone through with that and had Darlene C. come over from B&B to reprise playing Rose....For an even better twist, maybe he could have had it that Matt Clark was a great nephew of Rose's and was using him as some sort of revenge on Nikki, and her entire family, so that all the stories involving Rose from the past could have climaxed into an epic finale. 

Thanks! I forget little details like that, and I thought it was Vince who shot Liz. 

• Members

I noticed that during the early years of Sally circa 1988-91 Sally did seem a more serious threat and felt like a semi-crime boss running Spectra Fashions, but eventually a lot more endearment and humor was added to the Spectra mix. 

Darlene did fantastic in both roles, playing nasty and scary Rose while playing larger than life and lovable Sally.

@YRfan23 Don’t forget Sally once spooked the living daylights out of Sheila when Sally issued a death threat.

• Members

Not so long ago, I was re-watching one of Sally Spectra's first scenes.  She was having lunch in a restaurant with Stephanie Forrester.  Sally kept making empty promises that she would make a LARGE DONATION (I believe the amount mentioned was $10,000) to one of Mrs. Forrester's charities, possibly a children's hospital.  You could tell right away that Sally didn't have the money and wasn't a philanthropist by nature.  Mrs. Forrester tossed Sally her fountain pen and encouraged Sally to go ahead and write the check.  Sally frowned, dug around in her purse and said, "I seeeeeem to have forgotten my checkbook." 

Right from the start, she was Rose DeVille 2.0 -- a morally bankrupt thief who was illegally stealing intellectual property from the Forresters, didn't have the social skills to conduct herself around "Queen Stephanie", and was as broke as a church mouse, pretending she'd forgotten her checkbook to weasel out of making a donation.

As you said, she became more endearing and humorous over the years (and also wealthier), but in her earliest incarnation on B&B, she was almost as broke financially, socially, and culturally as Rose DeVille.  

• Members

I loved this about Bill Bell. He didn't think that every question needs an answer. Sometimes characters and/or viewers have to just live with it.

You are right, this story defined Nina.

I wonder if the baby drama was written for Cricket's first pregnant friend Molly and then Bell saw Tricia Cast on Santa Barbara