Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I never really thought Drucilla was intended to be Amy's sister, but I *did* believe that Amy Lewis was intended to be the young upwardly mobile character in a triangle with Nathan and the street-wise Dru.  When Stephanie E. Williams opted to sign a contract with "General Hospital", it seemed that Olivia was created fairly quickly as the Dru rival.  Which worked out fine, of course.   

• Members

Wow - I just watched the latest Innocent Years clip "M" https://youtu.be/mTFKabUT52E , from May '81, and Lorie is being a bit MUCH. Going on and on and on, in a florid, overwrought manner about the intense bond she has with Brooks and how they would just DIE to be separated from each other. She goes on for awhile as Stuart just stares at her, probably thinking "when are you going to shut up..."

I realized this would be right in the middle of the '81 TV Writer's Strike (April -July), so Bill Bell definitely did not write these scenes.

• Members

With Diane Jenkins back on modern y&r, I had no idea Susan Walters made appearences as late as 2010! As much as I like Walters, my favorite Alex Donnelly was recast due to age if I'm correct? If that was the case, then that sucks. Diane should have never been killed off. Maura West wasn't all that bad, but she might have been bettet in her own role.

• Members

Every time I've seen Alex Donnelley [sic] there is a visceral intensity to her anger or spite. You believe she's going to fùck someone up. It doesn't surprise me the network or EP might've preferred someone younger and/or less hard, but you don't get that everyday in daytime. I think Susan Walters is pretty good though.

• Members

These things are often superficial. AD is harder/stronger-featured in the face and has a more aggressive/masculine energy. Walters definitely looks younger. Plus, IIRC when AD got dumped her story was directly intersecting with MTS and a potential challenge to her character, which allegedly her husband the showrunner did not like. I believe it and it's been out there for years.

Edited by Vee

• Members

And with that music afterwards. Classic! 

Please register in order to view this content

I wish Robert Townsend had produced more installments over the years. Can you imagine if he and Victoria Rowell had collaborated?!

That would have been too much black soap goodness.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

OK. I can see that.
I ask because I figured the MTS factor was more likely a bigger one than age per se but while they are both beautiful women I can see how SW's more classical beauty might come off as younger or less harsh. 
Point taken.

As a side note, Y&R casting team in the mid 90s had a thing for "handsome" women. Alex Donnelley returned in 1996 and they cast Sandra Nelson a few months later.
I also didn't know AD was born in Germany. Was she a military baby or a fellow immigrant like EB?