Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@ltm1997 and @YRfan23 Thank you for the 1991 and 1993 episodes. I was watching daily for a good chunk of the 1990s so I remember the storylines from these episodes quite well.

The 1991 scene where Jack confronts Nikki about her drinking is probably what got Peter Bergman his 2nd Lead Actor Emmy. I remember that scene was shown during the Lead Actor presentations on the 1992 Daytime Emmy broadcast. I have no idea what his other submitted episode was.

So Christine was not yet a lawyer in these 1991 episodes as she was still writing law exams. I remember Michael Baldwin arrived in late 1991 so it must have been either at the end of November or beginning of December.

On to the 1993 episodes, we got to see the return of the Nikki/Katherine friendship which had been missing for a few years; I don't remember Nikki/Katherine interacting during Nikki's substance abuse and Katherine's cancer scare (Katherine turned to Jill during her cancer scare). We know now that there was friction in real life between MTS and JC and that could be why Nikki and Katherine didn't interact for a few years but I guess whatever issues they had must have been resolved by 1993.

Two new pairings were starting up, Paul/Christine and Victor/Hope, and also the buildup to the Nikki/Victoria/Cole triangle.  I wonder if Bill Bell was originally going to have Danny become involved with his costar but instead he created Phyllis the following year. The whole mystery of if Cole was Victor's son added a bit of an ick factor to the triangle.

• Members

Your Welcome!

Please register in order to view this content

I like it when full episodes of those clips pop up, i do remember that Jack/Nikki scene when it was used as Bill Bell's Lifetime Achievement Award Presentation.....definitely a powerful scene!

I think Cricket became a lawyer late 92, but Michael wasn't in the picture until the last week of November I think....I don't know if he started interacting with Cricket right off the bat.....in one of the January 1992 episodes I just posted Jack hired him to help prevent Nikki from letting Victor take her kids because she wouldn't have the back surgery, and it seemed like he and Jack were old friends from way back...I guess that was retconned later when Michael came back from prison...

JC and MTS were definitely on speaking terms again by 1992 because it seems Nikki and Katherine start interacting frequently again, but she was absent for most of Nikki's drinking....so I guess it wasn't really until 92 when they patched things up...

I think it honestly would have been better if this co-star Bernadette ended up in Phyllis place....watching her, she seems like an early version of her, and it just would have made sense that they hooked up in NYC, that whole mess with Baby Daniel etc...

• Members

More thoughts that I forgot earlier:

I forgot how eerie the back to back scenes of Lauren's "son" dying and Sheila singing Hush Little Baby to her "son" were. 

I remember Dina got exposed for lying about an illness when she was really broke but I can't recall what lead to Dina losing her money. Marla Adams's 1991 return was about 5 or 6 years after her last appearance so this was the first time she interacted w/ the Abbott recasts. 

• Members

Yes those scenes were horrifying! I remember seeing those scenes in flashbacks when Lauren was remembering Sheila during the 2005 return, but it's so creepy to actually see the whole scenes! KB has a lovely voice though....nice surprise!

I'm not sure RE: Dina but I must say seeing her in these 91 episodes, kind of takes the show back a few years to the mid-80's when Dina was front and center.....the show was miles different then it was during the 80's but MA has this natural adjustment even with all her children as recasts and newer characters from the last time.