November 1-5, 2010

Toups

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you! Someone finally said it, although I'm sure others will (and have) disagreed. Just as you predicted, Toups posted his/her own reply, which basically consisted of playing the victim card. I noticed that he didn't address your suggestion that he/she simply forward the information to someone else who could then post it. I don't believe anyone here is begrudging Toups a private life or having extra-curricular activities, but if this site interferes in his/her regular routine, perhaps they should turn over the administrator duties to someone else. I too remember an occasion (perhaps more than one) when Toups mentioned that he/she had the ratings but was waiting to finish eating before posting them, essentially teasing the people on the board (and possibly enjoying the "power" that he/she had over them). As PhoenixRising05 suggested, if that is the real reason, it would probably be better to make up a better sounding excuse, or say nothing at all.

I always find it funny how some people scold others with phrases like "it's only ratings" and such, yet they are here too, so they must also have an interest like everyone else. Also, how many people leaping to Toups' defense are doing so as a way to "kiss ass", as it were, since he/she is the site administrator?

People are free to discuss their opinions on this board, whether they are popular or not. That is the price we pay for living in a society that - at least, for now - tolerates freedom of speech.

• Members

Let's keep things in perspective. Assuming that you are referring to the Constitution, the principle of freedom of speech basically means that the government can't put you in jail for expressing your opinions.

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to internet message boards. Speech on any message board boards is permitted and subject to the whims of moderation, terms of use, user agreement, etc....

This isn't me defending Toups because I don't think he needs to be defended but I hate seeing the Bill of Rights dragged into things when it doesn't apply.

• Members

Get off your high horse...don't you get a nose bleed from looking down on people all the time?

What I meant with my comment about "freedom of speech" is that commenters on this board are generally not censored and that they are free to express their opinions on the particular topic at hand.

• Members

Are you people kidding me??? Why all the drama over the ratings and these attacks against Toups? And for the record I am not trying to kiss Toups' ass. Toups doesn't need to justify anything to us re: when the ratings are posted. Personally, I am just thrilled that I can view the ratings period. I just don't get it I really don't. But thanks again Toups for posting them.

• Members

Shame you didn't say that and instead invoked "the price we pay for living in a society that - at least, for now - tolerates freedom of speech." Cue The Battle Hymn of the Republic. But anyway getting back to the actual ratings...

The band of the bottom four just keeps getting tighter and tighter. Now there's just 105K difference in total viewers between the third and the last place soap. That's no difference at all.

• Members

Laughable? Hardly. But I am laughing at your idiocy. The only person that needs to get a grip is you because no one in this thread has equated ratings to medical situations. From what I have seen no one has demanded that Toups be militant about the ratings, however a little consistency, if not courtesy would be appreciated. If the information has to be verified resulting in a delay there's absolutely no problem with that. However, the ratings were consistently delayed for the past few months and no explanation was given, except a few cavalier posts that Toups needs to eat. Considering that this thread is always clustered with numerous requests asking for them when there is a delay with absolutely no response then then it becomes increasingly annoying.

At any rate, I hope you never have to take an HIV test. Now THAT would be really serious, wouldn't it?

• Members

ABC should be happy, as GH went up a good bit in 18-49. I guess it's true that the show will usually rebound when they hit a ratings freefall, even if the rebounds tend to be less and less. I'm not sure what brought ratings up. Maybe nothing does these days.

Not all that surprised OLTL went down either, as huge portions of the show are deeply flawed, to say the least. I'm sure that the vets will somehow get the blame.

Not sad to see Y&R, which continues to sputter, bore, and twitch itself into nothingness, drop. And B&B does the same as yet another "shocking" story goes nowhere.

• Members

Are you kidding me??? Who is attacking Toups? Or does simply asking questions equal attacking to you? One visit to this site and everyone can see most of the first and sometimes even the second page littered with "when are the ratings going to be posted" questions. I am not aware of anyone here "attacking" Toups, but just asking for a little consistency.

What I just don't get, I really don't, is why this problem even exists. As has been pointed out, Toups could easily forward the ratings information to someone else to post; hold off on posting a ratings thread until the ratings are actually released; or, my personal favorite, have a policy that the ratings will be posted no later than x o'clock on x day (unless there is a holiday or an unexpected delay).

Personally, I don't think anyone has "attacked" Toups or is being unreasonable. The fact that several people are leaping to his/her defense while demonizing (or "attacking") those who only want a little consistency and/or explanation when the release of the ratings are delayed for no apparent reason.

• Members

Oh, the drama over the ratings. Entertaining, really.

I have given up posting this, but here I go again, "the weekly fluctuations of both the overall ratings and 18 to 49 women demos are obviously random and due to external factors like the weather. The fluctuations have absolutely nothing to do with quality or storytelling, despite the insistence of some people here that they do."

Archived