DAYS: Ken Corday Interview

• Members

I agree in essence with your first paragraph. To me, it doesn't matter if the character is on every single day eating up the entire show (VM - GH) or on every single day participating in everyone else's storylines designed specifically to include them (ME - OLTL). The current soaps would benefit greatly if they got rid of their curent air hogs that don't do a lick for ratings and concentrate on the characters they do have that can make the show better. Drake and Deidre are proof that even with a vocal fanbase they neither break nor make the show. It's time Frons took note but he's too busy catering to Maurice Bernard, Michael Easton, and Cameron Mathison, much to the detriment of their respective shows. GH specifically will improve significantly without Sonny. Sonny as a character is simply played out yet he's continually glorified and continues to drive most of the stories.

Re: Actors dictating stories; I don't think AS is dictating hers, but considering most actors have no power with their storylines let alone receive airtime, a quarterly meeting is rather persuasive if not authoritative, and it's only fair that all the actors with longevity on DAYS have the benefit of that "open door policy" and not just AS or a select few.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the most part, ditto.

John and Marlena were pretty watchable for the first few months of 2008. They were pretty well written and both were putting effort into the characters. There's been times when the writing was horrific that both seemed to be mailing it in, especially Hall (Hogestyn's level of talent is, of course, debatable. Like that proverbial box of chocolates, you're not quite sure what to expect out of him.).

I do think they were overfeatured at times. Every major, major storyline seemed to have both of them as the main characters for seemingly about 10 years running.

If they'd ever figure that out with Sami and E.J., I might actually give the show a try again.

• Members

I think John and Marlena did eat the show and were largely terrible actors by the end. John had become refreshed with his "dark amnesiac" persona, though, and it was a waste to dump him as he hit a stride there. The fact is they were emblematic of the show, for better or worse, and the show feels as though it has gaping holes in it without them, Patch, Kayla, and others. Lucas, too. Even Shelle, at times.

I would bring the DHs back for short runs and short-term storylines, 4-6 months at a time. I'd keep John as the sort of callous mercenary he was before he regained his memory that last time; say he relapsed, but still retains a grudging love for Marlena. They could be involved in adventures also showcasing the new generation as well, perhaps Brady, Chloe and Phillip. I've always said I thought Sheffer's re-conception of Chloe as a vixen was genius and far too short-lived compared to the crud she's back to now, and I thought Brady could work if he were manipulated into becoming Stefano's new "Pawn," thereby necessitating the return of John and Marlena in such a story while Chloe perhaps metamorphosized into an Andrea Evans Tina Lord type from '80s OLTL - the vixen involved with good and/or "complicated" men. I think in a tortured Brady and the current Phillip you have both. I think Stephanie has got to be recast and go back to being an adventuress. I think Carly might be salvaged. I think Bill and Laura Horton should both be recast and returned, complete with Bill getting a black doctor son who could clash with a Sarah Horton or something. I think Will should be a scheming little queen trying to ruin his mother and work with Stefano. And I think you could even bring the Devil back in a subtler way. There's a lot of ways to make this show hot again, mixing Bell-style storytelling with the madness Days has become known for. Right now it's just blah. It could be anything. Days should not be blah. It should be insane yet stable and comforting.

• Members

Haha, so true. A very rare thing for a Ken interview!

Pretty much.

Exactly.

I was actually really surprised after chatting with Sweeney how well she truley knows sami. Her interview from this weekend with WeLoveSoaps is a reat example of that. She knows sami well, she gets her.

• Members

I think J/M were isolated on purpose. I think that Corday wanted to slash the budget and the fact is, Dena probably wasn't going to write for them. Unfortunately, I think it was a smart move on his part. However, Corday over the last few years has been too quick to fire and re-hire people. He's VERY lucky he's overall a nice guy that the cast ultimately likes, because he could have pissed off a ton of people (Drake Hogestyn, Thaao Penghlis, Matt Ashford, Renee Jones) with their repeated firings. I predict Drake was probably bitter. Deidre would likely come back in a heartbeat.

• Members

Whereas I think it's just the opposite. Drake, in my mind, wouldn't take the firing that personally, he's a professional, he'd move on. Deidre, on the other hand, would be the one to hold a grudge and be bitter.

Regardless, I think the show is far more balanced and focused without them. Their exit allowed for other actors to blossom, after decades of John and Marlena's never ending merry go round it is a refreshing change to see the rest of the cast move upstage.

• Members

I love everything you have said. Its time to bring back Sarah and the black horton would be the perfect storyline for Bill and Laura's return and bring a good storyline for them. Jennifer, Laura, Mike, Lucas, and Kate can play into this heavy. I would love to see a romance between Laura and Roman and have Sami, Jennifer, Marlena, Mike, and Carrie involved in that giving their opinions on why and why not they shouldn't be together. I can see Renee Jones having chemistry with John Martin's Bill which will bring in Stefano, Kate, Abe, Jennifer, Celeste, Mike, Laura and others.

• Members

I think there's a much bigger chance of Drake coming back than Deidre. Drake was at Corday's book event this summer, he was at another event a while back, they had different panels and he was in the hero panel. As far as I know Deidre's only been at the memorial for Frances Reid.

Joseph Mascolo, Kristian Alfonso and Eric Martsolf have all said they miss working with Drake.

And this probably doesn't mean anything but I thought it was interesting that the only other Days actor Deidre is friends with on Twitter is Martha Madison.

• Members

I personally think soaps should remember their history but not get swallowed by it. The DH2 had an exceptionally good run at the expense of other legacy characters. Now those legacy characters are getting their own kick at the can. Enough focus was given to past characters when they were around and while their fans might take exception, on a whole the show needs to move forward. There can always be a million stories and directions written for any character (and that's why we have fanfic), but with a strong ensemble cast and only 40 minutes a day to tell stories, a show has to find the balance between it's strengths and it's growth potential. The Blacks were done to death, and now it's time to let other families come to the fore. Same with the older generations of Hortons - they had the 70's all to themselves and while a few is a memory to history, the lot would be a bad idea. The Bradys dominated the 80's, so same goes for them. Each family needs to be represented, and they are. But the leads of past decades need to step aside and the fans have to let that process happen.

• Members

Also, the show should applauded for showcasing Suzanne Rogers. I do not care if it did not come about strictly because she was one of very few vets left. How it happened it pointless. The fact is it did happen, the show started to use her. At first in supporting roles to the younger set - in a brilliant move. And then in her own little short arc. And now as a major player in her own supporting storyline. They could easily trout her out for holidays & weddings, but they do not. She supports many characters & storys and drives a few as well. Other shows should take note. Days has given Maggie a fresh, new, exciting story.

as for DH2, the show got much better after they left. the ratings went up. so why bring them back? The only story that has been hurt by them not being there was Graces death, because it was unbelievable that marlena wouldnt be there. The writing was on the walls when fans refused to let Marlena be her own character. There was no Marlena or John, there was only MarJohn.

• Members

Exactly. Because, you know, even if SR were one of the few remaining vets, TPTB still could have decided not to use her more often.

ICAM. I more-or-less gave up on "Doc" b/c what she had become was a far, far cry from the Marlena Evans I had known and loved as a kid.

Archived