DAYS: Ken Corday Interview

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More and more, I don't dislike Shelley Hennig -- she's no brilliant thespian, but she's clearly having fun with Steph being a desperate, insecure manipulator -- but this character is so ill-defined. Like, there is NO throughline from the Shayna Rose Steph to the one who reappeared with Jeremy Horton to the one who dated Max to this version. I think this character would be served by leaving town for a while and coming back as a recast, just to clarify who the hell she is supposed to be.

(That whole racecar driver period was SO WEIRD.)

• Members

Weird, yes, but at least a woman on the show saw some action, had some agency, and reflected her parents' passionate, adventurous ways. I totally believed Patch's kid would grow up to be a fiery redhead who risked her life in ridiculously fast cars. Why not do that? I want it back. You can still put her with dark knight Phillip or whoever else, but if you did it with the right kind of Stephanie, the couple is actually potent.

And yes, I'd recast Jeremy and Mike. With someone younger than old Trevor Donovan. And yes, I'd like to bring back Nick Fallon. That was a goldmine character they began wasting almost immediately after creating a potential supercouple with Chelsea.

• Members

I still don't understand WHY they flushed Nick down the toilet like that. Even after they fucked up him and Chelsea so badly, there was a lot of potential with him and Melanie. But Nick and Chelsea should have been the big next generation couple.

I totally agree about Steph and the racecar driving. It was just so insane how EVERYONE was a racecar driver all of a sudden. JER had that bizarre NASCAR fetish going for a few years. It's so hard to believe that either EJ or Stephanie, as they currently exist, were introduced as racecar drivers.

• Members

Who's really to blame for that, though? Because, IMO, there's always an opportunity to spin characters into new relationships if the more, um, vocal viewers are open-minded about it. Unfortunately, though, they're rarely, if ever, are. :-(

• Members

Oh heavens, as someone who's had to endure the insanely obsessive LnL fans, I've got to say the problem with SuperCouples is that their fans will not accept them with anyone else. Look at what trouble Bo is having, and here we are facing Bope 5.0 again. I have actually seen fans write that they are OWED their favourite SuperCouple. I mean really, what fan is owed anything? It's ridiculous but that's the attitude.

Intellectually I totally agree with you - every character can be spun into new relationships. Unfortunately the reality is that show gets so much pressure to keep the status quo of the SuperCouples that unless one of them is dead or the character has left the show, the characters are stuck.

Just wait for it - Jennifer is back without Jack. If she gets into something with another character, the internet is going to freak and the demands for Jack's return to Jennifer are going to be deafening. Don't think so? Check back in 6 months for a comparison.

• Members

Actually, Days strongest pulling is from the North West (I saw a breakdown once. ABC pulls from the coasts, CBS from the South and Days from the North West). If someone like me can see that data, then TPTB at Days have seen it too. Perhaps some fanbase fits your stereotype, but not Days fans. What you are describing is Bonnie Lockheart, and she's long gone with few fond memories.

(Which is the Second Amendment?)

• Members

Word. Some might think Jennifer needs to be back in Salem (and in a way, she does), but if the scenario goes down exactly as you've described, then there'll be plenty (such as this guy) who'll wish the poor girl had stayed away.

• Members

Totally agree. Now if they had only done this on GL, write off Josh and Reva together. Should have happened when the first budget cuts came and Zimmer was balking at a salary reduction, the last few years might have been better. I think by loosing Zimmer, Newman and Wright at the same time they would have saved a crap load of money and focus on more of the canvas.

Who am I kidding, Wheeler was still there so it all would have been crap.

• Members

Honestly, I think during the last few years of GL, the only thing they DID have going for them was Josh & Reva. Everyone and everything else was just mindless, poorly planned filler. And Zimmer took pay cuts all over the place throughout the last decade. The only issue was taking a pay cut half-way through an already negotiated contract.

But this is all discussion for a GL thread...

Back to DAYS: Jennifer is definitely a much-needed beloved Horton legacy character. But I really hope they find her a suitable new man and stick to their plans. If they cave in and bring back Jack right away, it'll go nowhere (except maybe Jack will "die" for the 97th time)

Archived