The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

French website has an interview (video and text, although they're about the same) with Melissa McBride. It's kind of rambling, but interesting. There are comic Carol spoilers, but not TV spoilers, as far as I know. So be warned.

http://www.melty.fr/the-walking-dead-saison-3-melissa-mcbride-s-est-confie-durant-le-paris-manga-a156931.html

• Members

Once Daryl went with merle and i figured they werent following up with them I was annoyed because Darryl is my favorite character. I loved Andrew kind of taking charge and becoming a bad ass and leader again, I hope it keeps up. Rick is still losing it, this should be interesting. Twitter made me laugh when the two white people wanted to take over and the two black people were trying to keep the calm, lol. The Gov is so hot. I did not care to see Lori again, even if it was good for rick. I also like how Glen seems to be more affected by what happens than Maggie, who is just moving on - this will be interesting.

• Members

See, I have always thought she was a dynamic and interesting character. Even through this season with her seemingly only existing for the Gov's dick (showing that not even TWD is a flaw free show) I rooted for her and stuck with her. Perhaps I like the actress more, i dont even know her name though (Honestly, I only the names of the actors whi play Rick and Daryl)

• Members

Laurie Holden. She gets a lot of flak for her acting (and some slut-shaming on Twitter - how nice), but I think she's a decent enough actress. I think the character just lacks some motivation. I think they should have had her at the prison and put someone else at Woodbury instead.

• Members

Really? I get why she was there. She wanted this, WB was seemingly safe, secure, normal. She was woven into the society, accepted, and wanted by the Gov after months of nearly dying out there, literally fighting for her life after being left for dead by her group. For me, that was motivation enough. In fact im not sure how anyone could have had more motivation outside of finding a family member in WB

• Members

I mostly mean motivation in general. She says she wants to do something but then never seems to actually have a main point in the story. She wanted to learn to shoot and defend herself, but other than her sleeping with Shane and accidentally shooting Daryl (which I would not have written), there wasn't a lot of story (I think the best of the story was probably her suicide drama with Beth). Then in Woodbury they had to have her seduced by the Governor, with the desire to rebuild/lead coming only after that. To me it feels like they give her something to do but they don't know how to actually write her as a character, whereas someone like Carol doesn't drive story, but you know her inside and out, so she ends up seeming important.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I always feel bad for Laurie on Twitter but Damn Andrea is one of the dumbest characters. She keeps saying Andrea will be this and that and I'm still waiting to see all this happen. I did understand the appeal and draw of WB for someone like Andrea but still.

• Members

Finally watched the full episode.

I get the idea of starting out with nothing and then building up, and that's where Rick is now. I hope the execution works, because some of it is a slog, like the tension with Michonne. This is one case where I would be happy with less realism. Realistically, they have no reason to trust each other, and he would be dubious about wanting her around, but onscreen it just further isolates her character. I think she needs to be opened up. As of now there's zero reason why she is on the show.

The rescue scenes weren't all that memorable, but I loved seeing Maggie shooting people. I know it's patronizing but I think seeing women kick ass on shows like this brings a certain thrill and a drive, especially when it isn't forced, when you can just see the character being strong and tough.

I wasn't upset by Daryl leaving, because I think he has to be alone with Merle again to realize he needs more. I thought the scene was too busy, too many people. I enjoyed the slight smirk on his face when Rick knocked Merle out. Carol's talk about Merle and about Daryl was beautifully written and acted. Carol and Herschel both do a wonderful job making these "heart" scenes seem genuine, which I never felt with Dale.

I like Glenn a lot, but when he gets the "man pain!' stories, like freezing up in the fight against Randall's gang because Maggie said she loved him, I don't care for them. I'm more interested in his recovery from the beating than in his making Maggie's assault about him. I'm glad they put in the Maggie/Herschel scene. I very much needed to see that conversation, especially when he asked her not to lose her spark.

I'm glad they didn't just treat Oscar's death as a throwaway, and instead had several characters ask about him and mourn him. I was watching some of the early episodes of this season again and I think the actor had real potential. I dislike the idea that he was brought in as some sort of interim black guy. The actor deserved better.

I actually thought Laurie Holden held most of the Woodbury aftermath scenes together. I liked the initial scenes of Andrea dealing with the death and panic in Woodbury, and I liked her confronting the Governor and being somewhat repulsed by his keeping info from her as well as his callous attitude toward death. I liked that she still wasn't giving up. This was shot to hell with the speech, which was poorly written and not very well acted, and was marred further by the extras going from angry to soothed and inspired in about as much time as a tampon commercial. The extras were just terrible. The scene was one of those "I'm watching a TV show" moments, and TWD usually doesn't have those sad.png

I like Tyreese and Sasha, and the way they and the others in the group (who are more wary and I can see them betraying the prison group soon) were used in this episode. I had to stop watching the scene where Rick went nuts at the end, it was just too much for me.

Edited by CarlD2