OLTL: Discussion for the week October 25

• Members

I thought that Sean did a nice job with his scenes yesterday. I thought that his reaction to Greg's reveal rang natural and true as well. I do think that Sean is natural in his acting, and I think that it works.

Plus it helps makes him IMO likeable. And I think is one of the reasons why he outlasted Vincent and will outlast Greg. Even though I believe both of those characters were originally supposed to be featured more than him.

IMO Shaun's got that Bo Buchanan/Charlie Banks relatable regular guy type of naturalness.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed Shaun is a very likeable guy. His quirky scene with Todd worked too, I wouldn't mind seeing more of those two together. But for now I'm really hoping Destiny leans on her "uncle" Shaun b/c he's the only that never lied to her and shares her outrage.

Charlie is a nice guy but he bores me to death. ICAM on Bo.

• Members

Any SAG members here? I got an email about this SAG Foundation event:

Conversations

"One Life to Live"

Q&A with Frank Valentini, Gina Tognoni, Florencia Lozano, Sean Ringgold, Kristen Alderson, John-Paul Lavoisier, Hillary B. Smith, Kassie DePaiva

Tuesday, November 2nd

7pm

Paley Center for Media, Concourse Theater

25 W. 52nd St.

New York

Emmy Award-Winning “One Live to Live” is set in the fictional town of Llanview, which is modeled on the Philadelphia Main Line. “One Life to Live” debuted on The ABC Television Network July 15, 1968 as a half hour show. Forty-two years later, the Agnes Nixon-created soap opera remains one of television’s longest running programs.

“One Life to Live” has been lauded for its groundbreaking exploration of social issues, diverse canvas, award-winning performances and innovative storylines. Along with the history-making week of live shows in May 2002, “One Life to Live” is responsible for many “firsts” in Daytime television, including stories of interracial romance, illiteracy, medical misdiagnosis, racial prejudice, gang violence and teen pregnancy. The show received mass critical acclaim for its 1992 homophobia storyline, which captured national headlines when it introduced the character of a gay teen (played by then unknown Ryan Phillippe) and culminated with the emotional display of the Names Project AIDS Memorial Quilt. “One Life to Live” was honored by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) with the Outstanding Daytime Drama Award in 1993, and again in 2005 and 2010.

In 2002, the show won its first-ever Daytime Emmy Award in the Outstanding Drama Series category, and was nominated again in 2007 and 2008. In 2000, “One Life to Live” received the first CDC Sentinel for Health Award for the story of Viki’s breast cancer. In 2008 the story of Charlie’s alcoholism garnered the show recognition by the Entertainment Industries Council, Inc. (EIC) with a PRISM Award. The show was recognized again in 2009 for the telling of Cole’s prescription drug abuse. The show has also tackled the subject of teen pregnancy continuing a decade long relationship with the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy to tell the story of Starr Manning (Kristen Alderson), who had sex for the first time and became pregnant. For their efforts in raising awareness on the topic of teen pregnancy, both Alderson and ABC Daytime were honored by the Candies Foundation at their annual Event to Prevent in May 2008.

“One Life to Live” has dedicated itself to forging a unique path in ABC’s daytime lineup as a music-focused show. The importance of music has been showcased with the musical talents of cast members with two original musical events in 2007 and 2010, “Prom Night: The Musical” and “Starr X’d Lovers,” respectively. The show has also hosted an impressive list of guest performers including Snoop Dogg, Lionel Richie with Jeremih, Frankie Negron, All-American Rejects, The Pussycat Dolls, Rachael Yamagata, Mary J. Blige, Timbaland with Keri Hilson and One Republic, Nelly Furtado, Jeannie Ortega, Lifehouse, Simply Red, Chris Botti and Erykah Badu.

The rich history of “One Life to Live” continues to thrive with the Lord legacy, the powerful Buchanans and intriguing families such as the Cramers, Vegas, Mannings, McBains and the recent introduction of the Ford family. With new faces and longtime favorites, the show delivers the excitement of new friends and relationships and the comfort of binding family ties.

Created by Agnes Nixon, “One Life to Live” debuted on July 15, 1968 and marked its 10,000th episode on August 17, 2007. Frank Valentini executive-produces. Ron Carlivati is the headwriter. The popular drama consistently ranks among the top five in the key demographic of Women 18-49. “One Life to Live” airs MONDAY-FRIDAY (2:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

*Panel subject to change

Oh God, that was so long. Sorry. :P

• Members

Gotta love it when Carl gets frisky ;) (But yeah that press release is a bit LOL at poins, the Vegas barely exist either...)

Still, I love things like this and wish I could somehow see it--they need to start webcasting more of their stuff. I'm kinda shocked Ron Carlivati didn't talk his way into being the star speaker... (And I wouldn't mind ONE more vet coming on--if not Slezak or Strasser howabout someone else who's been there since the early 80s at least, like Woods? The current panel could barely answer any questions, or discuss, what the show was like in different eras, etc).

• Members

Was it just cuz of the Canadian simulcast, or di the American airing not show anything like a date or "a very classic episode" or anything before the episode? Seems kinda, odd...

Other random observations--i wish they had shown an older episode--even from one of the eras I hated lol--not one I remember so well. God I hated those over the puny episde titles. Wow Cole actually didn't mumble and slur quite as much even just a year back...

• Members

Which is precisely why I'll pass. At least there are no Fords on the panel. Hearing them wax poetic about their craft would have me reaching for my flask.

The Worlds Without End exhibit was great though, I went to the AMC panel discussion (Nixon, Canary, Barr, Wiley, who else?) and I watched the "Divas" one (Strasser, Wyndham, Zimmer) in the viewing room upon a later visit. I'm glad they did that while soaps still had some sort of footing. I don't think it would ever get produced today, only decades from now, like dinosaur fossils.

Archived