OLTL: Discussion for the week October 25

• Members

First time in almost a year I cheered Cole on for ending snarky, annoying Evil Eli's reign. I am so beyond tired of MW's one-note moustache twirling villain.

Gigi & Cris scenes were total WTF are they doing in the middle of this fast paced action. They should have been cut as FF & DF are dreary together.

LOLed at Trevor butchering Flor's Spanish accented Dañiella today.

Was is it me or did anyone expect Superhero Jason Morgan any minute to rush into the scene today and rescue everyone?! I kept waiting for Bo to suggest Brody sneak into the warehouse & rescue Starr & Hope like he did last fall's kidnapping. Will say this warehouse stuff is wayyyyyyyyyyy more exciting to watch and integrates characters better.

As for Evans, I got the moment I wanted big lug Shaun comforting his little D. Frankly, that's the ONLY Evans relationship I've ever been invested in. SE/SR share such good chemistry together, their scenes come off very natural. Whereas SE strains to connect with TT and the Evans parents too hard. Want to give ABC a shout-out for putting SR on contract. He's been the unsung hero during these scenes IMO. His reaction shots were priceless and his outrage rang so natural and true. I wish Shaun was raising D by himself and cut out those useless parents.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For years ME was sporting man boobs and he would never do a love scene without a wife beater. During afterglows the sheet was so high above his waist I knew the dude was self conscious. Even in afterglow he would sometimes wear wife beaters. He has since lost some of the flab from the bits and pieces I saw but he still isn't toned. His PC days are long gone.

Cheap, those pics of BB before are kinda scary. Dude looks almost looks anorexic but it's only in contrast to how he looks now. Dang!

• Members

I like average guys, been attracted to all types. In an everyday context Buddy's gut wouldn't faze me. But he is not in an everyday context. BB's looks wouldn't be fodder if he or his character had any real spark or personality. Instead, he's always been presented as Generic Hot Teen Guy, a teen dream, Starr's Prince Charming, when the reality is he's pretty charisma-free, mediocre as an actor, and yeah, he's been packing it on for a long time.

I suggest they recast in a year or two with Mick Hazen, who's genuinely talented.

And yeah - for years the standing order at OLTL has been for KDP, Susan Haskell and now Melissa Archer again to hide Easton's bitch tits from the camera.

• Members

See I agree and don't. I think soaps having moved so much into "everyone is hot" isn't a good thing--and makes them even less relatable (would an average non soap viewer stop flipping cuz they saw Buddy? No way--but by the same token I have friends who have complained that every guy on every soap looks interchangeable). But yes--where's the appeal at all?

• Members

But that's not an aesthetic choice I'm making. The show made it when it introduced Cole as star quarterback, Starr's hero and all-around amazing wonderful handsome teen heartthrob. They chose to ignore other characters and actors in favor of a very bland 'hot' approach to this character, in casting and story, and we ended up with a boring kid who is not the best actor as the son of Susan frickin' Haskell. Then he slowly de-volved into a schlub, and we were supposed to keep seeing him as this amazing teen heartthrob on par with Jonathan Jackson. That's where I think the backlash comes from. Not from fans not wanting to see "ordinary people." We got by with many non-size zeros for years.

As for art, RC's OLTL deeply impressed me in early '08 when they inserted a tiny little reference in the set design at Roxy's salon - a prop referenced Alec Guinness' deranged boho artist character from his classic '60s film, The Horse's Mouth. That took moxy. This stuff, meh.

I loved Matt Walton as just Eli, pre-supervillainy. I do think he can play cold or evil well, but no one could sell the later stuff with all this ranting and raving and rote hostage-taking.

• Members

See, Matt Walton bored me playing his super nice, game show host guy, too.

Roscoe Bourne can play cold and evil with a deliciously, chill-inducing wicked smile. Even during RC's most campy writing, Roscoe still found a way to ooze evil darkness. Matt's Evil Eli is a joke. He brings no real menace or subtext to his acting. SC's Schuyler taking Gigi hostage and losing his freaking mind over love managed to give a multi-layered performance despite craptastic writing and dialogue.

I just am not impressed with Matt Walton's acting at all.

Archived