OLTL: TV Guide interview with Valentini & Carlivati

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me this isn't about roses or rocks, it's not even just about OLTL. IMO this "interview" is a perfect example of one of the things that's killed the genre. Showrunners sitting in a bubble tell us why they're superior as the soap press jerks them off. I can't think of another form of television where TPTB are completely shielded from any real feedback. The writers and producers for other shows have blogs, do podcasts, answer email, etc... but in soaps they not only reject the concept of two way communication, they openly berate the audience as uppity peasants for daring to speak to them.

• Members

And this ties to your previous post, marceline, but if nothing else, these people are responsible for falling revenue. Losing money. Why are they rewarded for doing so?! It's like a madhouse, every single network daytime section. No one is holding these people responsible. unsure.gif

• Members

Which is also odd seeing as how in no other television medium is the line between fan and journalist so utterly nonexistent, and the number of journalists dedicated to the genre so few. I would hazard a guess that soap fans are the closest to sci-fi fans and shippers (you taught me that one ;) ), nuts dedicated viewers hungry for some form of direct communication, instead they get the proverbial string with only one can on their end. And yet we know that the daytime brass has had no problem in the past seeking out the unsolicited opinions of folks who don't even watch soaps. And not for nothing, but it's not like Ron's David Simon and we're giving him the business for questionable s/l decisions during the still genius 2nd or 5th seasons of The Wire. -_- Crap is crap and if I'm a viewer I'm in my right to call it out, or yes, quit watching, and I don't think they want that now do they? None of this, "Well if you only knew WHY we had to make crap..." No. Again, as a writer, as a TEAM of writers, you roll with the punches and you make it work. If fans can do it wanking on message boards a group of professionals getting paid good money for it surely can.

• Members

The article Marlena wrote about the rapemance, back in 2008, was pretty good.

I would still love to hear some real questions about that storyline, especially if the show ever planned to make Todd pay. And if jumping into a river only to be perfectly fine in the next episode was supposed to = paying.

• Members

Y'all are wrong! :lol: Marlena de la Connie speaks the truth, she's on the proper side of this argument. ^_^ Thanks for sharing marlenadlc. How unfair that folks behind the camera don't have the fire of 13-week cycles burning under them. As far as FV and RC's continued employment is concerned, is it a matter of faith or resignation?

• Members

I'm not a sci-fi fan, but wouldn't you agree that there's a difference between nerd-crazy and "Rape me Luke/Todd!"-crazy? Or are syfy fangirls that bad too ("Michael Dorn, indulge my angry Klingdingo sexual fantasies!"[/spoken in Klingon, natch])?

• Members

Honestly, there isn't really a difference. It doesn't matter if it's someone freaking out about Jar-Jar Binks or Todd Manning. It's the same level of crazy. The difference is in how the franchises treat their fans. Sci-fi treats them like investors, albeit batshit crazy ones, and soaps treat them like vermin.

But even primetime and cable shows understand that they can't disrespect fans. Look at the different panels from Comic-con. It doesn't matter whether its True Blood or Psych or Criminal Minds, the show runners are there taking questions from the audience. Can you imagine what would happen if Ron and Frank (or any other soap exec) had to sit in front of a room full of viewers and answer to them? Even when ABC did Super Soap Weekend it was always the actors on the hot seat.

It's mind boggling to me that I can leave a question on The Good Wife blog asking if anyone knows where to get a dress like the one Julianna Margulies wore in an episode back in S1 and within a few days get an answer from the show's wardrobe person while soaps don't even acknowledge letters or emails then turn around and openly dismiss the people who care enough to write them in interviews like this one.

Archived