Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

OK. So I sat and watched the infamous climax of Carolyn Crawford's murder and I've always wondered for the longest--what was the main reason that she was killed? 

Also, it always boggled my mind as to why Marland would center a story behind someone the audience didn't even care for. 

Didn't he break one of his own rules?

• Members

The original story written by Marland was Darryl was the killer of Carolyn and did it for the money and to have full control of the company. Midway Marland changed it because he felt it was a repeat of the Douglas story and he didn't want Frannie duped by another man who turned out to be a killer again. So he had one of Darryl lame assistant frame him for murder because he wanted the money and felt Darryl didn't love Carolyn and he did. The revelation still did well either ranking #2 or #3 for the week among the 11 soaps on the air at the time. IMO Marland made a mistake in changing the ending of the story.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Something seemed strange about the Carolyn Crawford murder mystery, and perhaps you have just explained it.  Marland was famous for always knowing who the murderer was, before one of his murder stories even began on-air.  And his murder mysteries were always well plotted -- until this one.  CC's murder dragged on for months, and involved too many new characters who the audience didn't care about.  Since it wrapped up not long before Marland's death, I have always wondered if perhaps his health was failing, and he just wasn't up to his usually writing zest. Or perhaps he had turned-over the end of this story to one of his assistants, because of his health.  Whatever the cause, the CC murder mystery certainly didn't seem like Marland was at the helm.   

• Members

Here are the ratings for the Carolyn Crawford murder reveal.

Archived