Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL, Nathan Lane in that Cheetos commercial (18:00), on the March 2, 1984 episode.

And that awkward dinner party with John's reaction to drinking wine, lol. The music cues haven't aged very well. Nevermind that it's obvious that TPTB were determined to use that Giorgio Moroder music as often as possible but that weird music cue when Margo tells Lyla about Craig's involvement with the fire right before commercial break.

Whatever happened to The Refuge?

Ironically, (or not) another one of Steve's buildings would go up in flames a few short years later, the house at Ruxton Hills.

EDT.

That November 1984 episode was compelling, from start to finish. I don't remember ever seeing that episode, perhaps a few courtroom clips. The sound mixing could have been better. I'm glad that someone decided to take it down a bit in terms of the thunder in the courtroom scenes because the loudness of the thunder was really distracting, although I wished someone had thought to do the same with the sound mixing during the Lucinda and Lily scenes where the sounds of thunder were still entirely too loud.  I appreciated the juxtaposition of the elation of Steve and Betsy and Maggie and Frank at Maggie winning her case and Steve's case being dismissed with the anguish in the McColls and Connors families.

It's downright ironic that Lucinda is the one urging Lily never to keep secrets.   I wonder how far ahead did Elizabeth Hubbard know that Lily was adopted. Did she yet know in those scenes with Lucy Deakins?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

1984 seemed like one helluva a year for ATWT. Craig's machinations being exposed, Whit being killed, Kirk's true maternity being revealed...

I'm hoping more episode pop up to be watched. 

I've been eagerly awaiting to see the actual episodes leading to Whit's death. Does anyone know if they've ever been posted?

• Members

That's pretty clever because looking back on scenes like this, one can make a case that the seeds were planted and ready to be cultivated. Lily was already somewhat fragile by Martin Guest's suicide, but with Guest dead and buried, they'd likely needed something else to play off in regards to the rocky mother/daughter dynamic.

• Members

Just a guess (sorry, vocational hazard), but since it was a serial, rather than a play or film, I would think he'd look at the actress, look at her strengths and write/develop the character accordingly.  One thing that I'm pretty sure of, just from a writer's P.O.V. is that Lucy's Lily would have stayed with Brian Bloom's Dusty. Martha stated that originally, Marland wanted Dusty and Lily but began to change his mind after seeing Hensley in scenes of them together.  

Also, no offense to Martha but looking on her previous work, there was something that screamed "petulance" about her facial expressions when she was a teen (i.e. The Beniker Gang), so as a writer, it was an easy fit to write Martha's Lily as a petulant brat, whereas teenage Lily as portrayed by Lucy, imo would've been more rebellious on the way to maturity, the character was already getting fairly rebellious when Deakins left the role.

• Members

One of the reasons why I believe every dramatic writer should take at least one acting course. He was a former actor himself and many actors who he had written for always spoke of how well he seemed to understand actors and how to write so as to get the best from them. 

• Members

When watching old episodes I thought it was quite interesting when I realized that all three of Martha Byrne's pregnancies were written into the show, all of them also resulting in healthy Snyder babies. Compared to Maura who was pregnant 5(five!) times, where I think (but I'm not sure) only her first pregnancy was written into the show, which resulted in a stillborn. 

Guess Lily was more of a happy home character than Carly anyway, but I still think it's quite interesting and wonder why these decisions were made.

• Members

In early 1967 Konrad Matthei (Roy McGuire) took six weeks off ATWT to film an obscure Australian movie 'Journey Into Darkness'

In an interview, he says his last day before departing was Roy slipping into a church to see Sandy(his ex wife) marrying Bob Hughes.

As the show was live at that time, it means Bob and Sandy were married January 1967. I've never seen a date for that marriage before.

In his absence Roy went off to Medical school. Konrad mused that Roy would probably be a fully fledged doctor  when he returned to Oakdale.

I know Roy married Penny  but not much else about the character. Does anyone know more about Roy McGuire?