As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Seeing egregious mistakes in and distortions of history can make me laugh AND cringe in agony, if that makes sense.

The slight "bone of contention" I had with Liz's fall on the stairs, was that I really didn't see how she could have had the life-threatening (and ultimately life-ending) injuries from the accident. But on television, we often have to suspend disbelief and "go with the flow," so to speak.

That's what I strive to do, the majority of the time on social media. I must admit, however, that if people are being willfully and relentlessly antagonistic for extended periods, I will not hesitate to..."toy" with them for my own amusement.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I loved her too..smart but nice....(My neighbor next door had the total hots for Meg Ryan's Betsy but didn't like this one..I said, "But her Betsy was so stupid," and he said, "Yea, that's what made her even hotter, cute and stupid.." So you see you can talk to straight guys about soaps!

Frost's kid played for my team the Chicago White Sox...I saw an interview where he was asked what his mom did on the soap and he said, "I think get kidnapped..." 

They should have had both Betsy and Frankie back. 

• Members

Ha! I guess he didn't know how famous his mother was back in the day. Lucas looks so much like his dad Rick. Who was also on ATWT as Nick Costello.

Please register in order to view this content

Lucas is now with the Boston Red Sox

• Members

When @Mitch64posted about Lucas Giolito’s mere glancing awareness of his mother’s soap career, I immediately wondered if he knew much about his grandfather’s acting career, much less soap acting career. 
When I watched as a kid, of course, I had no idea of the real life connections between any of the actors on this show.

I mean, James Stenbeck’s Oakdale PD stooge married to Betsy Andropoulos? Beatrice the Basket case McKechnie married to cocky doctor Casey Peretti? Who’d of thought?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't know if he didn't know that much, or it was more of a joke...( I can see his Mom saying, "Oh I was kidnapped a lot") and Lindsay seems much more into her art, etc. and probably was while he was growing up..and let's face it, he was of a generation where ATWT and soaps in general did not have the iconic place in pop culture. 

He probably did know more about hid grandfather doing an autopsy on Laura Palmer and dealing with the a town full or weirdness due to the magic of film. 

Edited by Mitch64

• Members

responding to the unabortion topic here only because dough marland set the gold standard for how to rewrite a soap opera’s history. 

i wasn’t watching amc at the time, but when i heard about the unabortion, i felt, as most did, that not only was this an insult to viewers, but to agnes nixon’s groundbreaking story, as well.

went without saying that the science to support the story simply did not exist. then a few years ago. i caught an episode of ‘the bold ones,’ an anthology series from the early ‘70s. one of the segments, ‘the new doctors,’ focused on cutting edge medicine and seemed to be grounded in some kind of reality — one episode from the last season dealt with acupuncture. 

this episode was titled ‘a substitute womb,’ and dealt with a woman with a serious cardiac condition who was advised not to continue her pregnancy. the doctors wanted to try implanting the embryo into another woman’s uterus. it was her sister, so lots of drama ensued, and i don’t recall how things turned out. 

i poked around online to see if there was in fact some early research behind this episode. but, with ivf, there’s so much info and i couldn’t out how to refine my search to find out what might have been going on in the late 60s-early 70s. 

often wondered if megan mctavish had seen this episode. of course, even if she had, it was still a stupid, unnecessary story.

a substitute womb

• Members

That will bring various opinions - LOL. I consider Sept 2000 - Sept 2004 to be the second Golden Age of the show. The quality goes up and down from there. I thought the shows final 9 months wrapped things up well. Many people will feel differently!