As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Back in '98-'99 various corporate entities approached P&G (not PGP or Televest) about buying AW or buying into AW or buying the right to re-broadcast vintage AW. FOX TV wanted a daytime lineup of their own & thought starting with what was then current AW would have been great. ABC & Angela Shapiro wanted her good friend Linda Dano & her character Felicia Gallant. The entity that became Viacom wanted something, details unknown. The entity that is now Paramount wanted something, details unknown. What is now Sony but was then, I think, Columbia Tri-Star (and SoapCity), wanted to do some kind of partnership. P&G predictably, I might add, sent them all packing. As a fan activist in favor of AW having some kind of future, at that time, all of that from the pages of the Business section and/or Variety & Advertising Age, was very disheartening because it was basically the other shoe dropping. No other eventualities existed beside cancellation.

Now, all that said, and I'm sorry if you've been over all of this ground & it is tedious covering all the dam*ed history, all I want to know is if Collen's alleged information is about *current* destruction of materials or if it somehow is about the historical wiping or taping over that is already known. To me that is what is key. It would be easy for someone to hear about the historical practice & mistake it for new activity.

The last information I have on this subject is that *CURRENT* P&G (or PGP or Televest) has 5 soaps "in warehouse" (whatever that means) & that 5 different streaming services have contacted them specifically wanting to buy outright or license to stream vintage P&G soaps & that P&G had replied, "We are no longer in the soap opera business."

That dovetails perfectly with my personal appraisal that P&G values its stuff too much to sell or rent, but not enough to invest in a future for it themselves.

I am personally suspicious of the above being about *5 soaps" & about "5 corporations". What's up with the number 5?! Could just be being cynical. Oh, yes, but if it is 5 in storage, I believe that is AW, ATWT, GL, SFT & I don't know the last.)

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Based on the AOL streaming, I would guess Edge of Night and maybe they consider Texas an extension of AW. Very irritating to hear 5 different streaming services were interested and they turned them down. P&G is really our only hope since Disney is obviously not going to let anybody touch their soaps. 

• Members

I'm just waiting for a trillionaire fan to come along, someone who will write P&G a gigantic check, to get these shows out of captivity and onto a streaming service. Think that will ever happen? How much money do you think it would take to get P&G to relinquish all rights and give the shows to people who care?

Maybe someone should reach out to Elon Musk 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

First of all, chillax, you're making fools of yourselves.

Second, vintage episodes of Y&R are not shown anywhere except illegally on YT or dailymotion, etc. Current episodes are streamed.

Third, current wisdom is that yet again P&G has been approached & is categorically not interested.

• Members

Interesting. Anyone on top of historical info about EON ending? Or about NBC wanting to buy AW?

Editing In: Alright, turns out this guy doesn't know anything about the "Colleen Rumor". He misunderstood what he read in the tweet thread & has tweeted to correct that. We can mark that rabbit-hole unproductive.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Tonksadora
New Info.

• Members

Well, hot dam*! Love the factoid. He was a keeper. Although I often stared at his hair. It stood up so high on the top! How did they get it to stand up like a corn crop?! And, when he would smile really big, which was often, his hair would rise another 2 inches, on the top. Thnx for sharing.