Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ahem, as I said upthread, y’all can feel free to listen to crazymakers who dip in the thread to create chaos and then bounce if you want but I would rather stay on the side of level-headedness, until and unless I have reason…valid reason to believe otherwise. IOW, show me the receipts.

• Members

So wild hearing Roger say they were ready for monthly releases. It does seem like the rug was pulled from under them. They seemed to think everything was going well and for a while it seemed that way, but as always with soaps, something had to go wrong.

The RetroTV thing really drives me crazy. Soap fans are the only group that don't have a streaming service devoted to them. You have stuff for game shows, wrestling, British tv, sitcoms, etc., but not soaps. Imagine how excited the community would be if that app had multiple soaps on it. I hope that even though P&G turned them down that they can find another company willing to license soaps to them.

• Members

The SoapClassics people said this years ago.
It’s obvious that P&G was no longer interested in profit-sharing with the company. Conjecture on my part (notice that I said conjecture, not fact) but it wouldn’t surprise me if P&G thought they could take it on in-house and keep all the profits for themselves before discovering that their corporation is too chaotic and hyper focused on their corporate business to do what needed to be done with distribution of their television productions.  A few years ago, it was in several trade magazines that P&G were trying to put out “Choose Your Own Adventure” entertainment programming with the idea toward product placement of their own products online, but that flopped. P&G seems to struggle with the type of creative entertainment that they once pioneered.

That being said, my original contention was that, even the destruction of master reels would cost P&G a good sum of money and is not as straight forward as some would contend. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

And normally a publicly traded company on the NYSE (such as P&G) feels a great enough obligation to its shareholders not to destroy a marketable product (and those recordings are, after all, "marketable products"), simply to humor a "petty executive with a small dick" so that he will "feel better about himself", without first performing a thorough evaluation of the cost/benefit of storing the product versus the potential realizable revenue of marketing the product.  I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule of shareholder fiduciary; this doesn't seem to be one, though.  

• Members

Another great point.

We all may think that P&G is a terrible corporation (with good reason) but it is a company that has been around for several generations now and trades on the stock market and has a responsibility to its shareholders not to do unpredictable things. Unlike a tech company whose ethos is generally to “move fast and break things”, P&G is a staid  corporate entity that built its success on having a trusted, somewhat predictable reputation. They’re not Tesla, P&G’s version of chaotic is generally having people compete for who will be next in line to be one of the next 17 Vice-presidents of a given division. Even their less successful products are likely to be spun off and merged rather than eliminated completely. No large corporation outside of a very limited number of tech companies could get away with such knee jerk behavior, not in the 21st century of corporate responsibility and regard for legacy.

• Members

OMG - you all are HYSTERICALLY funny. You whine and moan and complain about P&G for the decade I've been following this board (I don't ever post because y'all have some serious issues) and I, in good faith, come on to share news from Colleen - news that makes PERFECT sense since absolutely NOTHING has happened with any of their soaps for a decade when other product is being put out there (The Doctors, B&B, Y&R) and suddenly now y'all think P&G is a stand-up company that wouldn't do such a thing. It's just laughable. Absolutely laughable.

It wouldn't cost anything to wipe the episodes. You throw away VHS tapes and hit the "delete"button on digital copies. P&G is still around; however, P&G Entertainment, which is what produced the soaps no longer exists as a company and hasn't for over a decade. My friend who writes for General Hospital is absolutely right when he says "don't even try to communicate with so called-fans. They're a bunch of bitter nobody's who think they would know how to deal with corporate executives and budgets and deadlines and actors leaving and returning all while trying to write 5 episodes a week."

I'm done with y'all - that's why I only pop on every once in a while if I have something of value to add to a conversation. Except there IS no conversation. Just banging my head against a wall.