As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

You are. That's why she never made another one.

I don't recall her singing at all when I started watching in the 2000s. It seems totally out of character for Lily.

Ugh she sang on GL too? Yeah Blair was singing all the time on OLTL, it never made any sense and was never any good. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm not sure whether you mean characters who sing or singers who appear on the show but I don't entirely agree with you.

ATWT did fairly well with (very) sparingly use of singing in the 1980s. 

Whitney Houston & Jermaine Jackson launched a hit while on the show and future Tony award winner Tonya Pinkins sang some beautiful solos while on the show as Heather Dalton.  Even the thriller mystery surrounding Kim Hughes (Kathryn Hays) that used her backstory as a lounge singer as a the means to get into a stalking then murder/mystery story was done incredibly well.

I think that the show used it more effectively in the 1980s which was the right thing to do for the world of the show but became heavy handed in the next decade. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

You're probably right.  It's been so long ago that I don't remember the details but the Chelsea character seemed out of place with the Reardons to me.  Chelsea seemed closer to a Southern belle in the midst of the Midwestern working-middle class Reardsons.  Just didn't fit. 

• Members

That was before I was born, perhaps someone knowledgeable about Kim's early history can answer that specific question.

I have seen episodes from a few years late in '79 and she was definitely not singing.  I even think that at one point, in the very early 1980s, when she was married to Nick Andropoulous, they were running a Greek restaurant together in the episodes that I saw.  I also remember Kim doing some "volunteer-ish"  type of work, helping Barbara and Lisa out at the boutique for a costume ball, etc.  I think until the mid '80s, Kim was a kind of floater, not really deep in any one specific career.

I also remember that, around '86, there was a bit of a power struggle between Bob and Kim over her desire to work outside of the home.  Bob thought she should've been satisfied with being a wife and mother and Kim wanted a career.  When Lucinda, with John's approval (plotting with John who wanted full custody of Andy and thought a job would distract Kim, making her vulnerable in any custody battle) decided to offer a plum position hosting a talk show on WOAK, it proved to be an offer that Kim couldn't resist.  

The most I remember was that wedding reception duet between Bob and Kim and we heard Kim's recorded voice during the stalking/Doug Cummings murder mystery.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I think she was supposed to be a singer when introduced, but then she was supposed to be the youngest Reardon...(we all know Nola was) and "wilder" then Nola, which she was not.   And yes, she did not seem to be from a Midwestern working class Irish family when she would get up..."Ima gonna sing you all a little ditty here.."  At least she sang standards..I HATED when Lyla would get up to sing that dumb ass song of hers which was entrancing the population.  

Other singing that made sense.. as annoying as it was when Lisa would climb up on that piano and swing those pearls...(she always reminder me of the Madame doll) it made sense, it was her restaraunt and she was eccentric Lisa who would think people would want to hear her warbling ...and I can see in real life people actually going to a place like that and expecting the crazy owner to get up and sing...especially gay guys...(how the Mona Lisa was not a gay mecca in Oakdale.. with Lisa, the drama and constant gossip...) And I did like when they had Gilly on GL sing, as she was in a band and it was part of her gig and people werent going GAGA over her singing (like they were with Lyla on ATWT.)

• Members

Speaking of singers and singing on ATWT, I recently read that Emmy Rossum (Phantom of The Opera, Shameless) played the first Abigail Williams/Snyder on the show.  I don't remember this but again, I was on and off with the show in the 90s.  The dates listed for her are confusing, depending on the source. 

Does anyone know what dates she was on the show, exactly?  Or better yet, are there any clips of her as Abigail uploaded on YouTube?