August 2-6, 2010

Toups

• Members

This will be my last time doing this for a while.

HH

1. Y&R 3.5 (+.1)

2. B&B 2.2 (-.1)

3. GH 1.9 (-.1)

4. DOOL 1.8 (same) <-- ties low

4. AMC 1.8 (-.1)

6. OLTL 1.7 (-.1)

7. ATWT 1.6 (same) <-- ties low

As always, the info comes from and the gratitude should go to The Lovely Lskreet.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was a time when the networks would air reruns of their shows (before they went into syndication) in the daytime, especially comedies. I remember All in the Family, One Day at a Time, and the Jeffersons on CBS for several years, Three's Company and The Love Boat on ABC, and Golden Girls on NBC.

The problem now, though, is that the shows skip network daytime and go right into the very lucrative syndication market, fearing that daytime network exposure would impact the money the show could reach in syndication.

A show like Desperate Housewives probably would've been great in reruns on ABC daytime, but the money's just not there for them like it is in syndication.

• Members

There is no ABC fanwar from me. I just think it's not the best harbinger that ABC works so hard to promote VM's return and begins mentioning her on GH and their soaps drop. That has nothing to do with how I feel about other networks -- I don't hold any of their problems against ABC. If there is any show I want to see drop it's Y&R.

• Members

I think it will happen, but online... and sometime in the next 10 years. they just have to get a viable business model and figure out how to monetize it. I see a LARGE website containing thousands of streaming episodes all for a monthly subscription. It will happen. If thye can find ANY way to squeeze money out of these properties, they will. P&G's first priority is it's consumer products, so those will probably be last, but the soaps that are owned by ABC and the Bells and Sony will most likely go someplace after cancellation.

• Members

I understand. That's Frons. Personally I want to see all things Frons removed from ABC. I don't watch GH and I never have but I think VM's return is a very good thing for a lot of reasons. Unfortunately Frons has handled it terribly. He doesn't know how to build popularity. On the contrary, his arrogance and overkill makes the audience hate the very thing he wants to promote. (See Ryan/Greenlee (AMC) or John McBain (OLTL))

Bottom line: everybody dropped except Y&R. It wasn't a "harbinger" of anything.

Archived