Lovers and Friends/For Richer For Poorer Discussion Thread

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Reading an article on Barry leaving "Loving," it says her Isabelle replaced Celeste Holm abruptly in July, 1992, and was written out in January, 1994. The move was storyline dictated. Agnes Nixon had only been there a short while when Barry's Isabelle was axed. She'd bring back Augusta Dabney's Isabelle in the summer of 1994 for the Cradle Foundation storyline. 

I disagree with Barry's assessment of Viola. While she was a survivor, she was intended to be a character of a certain stature who would have followed certain rules. Viola would have married a man she hated to support her family, but I don't think she would have operated her own business. How would that have appeared? 

Anyway, I think Barry won in the end. Didn't Viola open up a second-hand store or something along those lines with Josie Saxton. Or am I confusing my 1970s NBC soaps?

Since we are talking "Loving" and "For Richer, For Poorer," I wonder if Millee Taggert wrote for FR,FP or if Tom King consulted with Taggert in her 1992-1993 run. The Brewsters of Corinth are basically a carbon copy of the Brewsters of Point Claire. Both were mother-daughter duos who had been rich, but lost there money with the mothers encouraging their daughters to marry wealthy men. The mother figure was even absent in the early months and had heart problems. 

Edited by dc11786

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I just found this thread and have been reading it and enjoying every minute. I watched Lovers and Friends / For Richer For Poorer at the beginning, I was in my early teens. I always remembered the "Connie" character and really enjoyed reading the old recaps, I remember Connie's fake suicide that almost worked and her waking up in "heaven" (?) wearing a white dress with everything around her in white and then hearing Bill's voice calling to her which made her decide to return to life. I don't recall ever seeing that actress in anything after the show, I thought she was good. It's funny how some things stick in your mind and other things don't. I remember all these details from a soap in the seventies but couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night. Sorry I was late to this party but I sure enjoyed reading all this. 

• Members

The actor playing Jason, wasn't he Iris' stepson, Ted?

Welcome! Better late than never.

Please register in order to view this content

Please continue to share your memories, those of us who weren't around for the golden age of soaps are truly appreciative.

• Members

Richard Backus came back to AW after FRFP was cancelled to play the second Ted Bancroft, a few years after Eric Roberts had first played Ted in 1977. Actually a number of the other actors from the cancelled show were taken on to play other characters on AW under Rauch and Lemay.

Backus went on to play Barry Ryan for a few years on RH, and later wrote for a number of soaps. I have a memory of him playing a minor character on ATWT, maybe one of the management consultant clients of Walsh or Montgomery, but it's not listed at imdb.

• Members

He played two characters on ATWT.  He was Dr. Russ Elliott, who found Betsy after her accident  (Meg Ryan)  and she resembled his late wife, Kate. Betsy ( now Lindsay Frost) after her bandages came off. He attempted to keep her from her life, but she made her way back to Oakdale.

His second character, Karl Eldredge, was a cousin to Scott Eldredge, Lisa's son  from her time on "Our Private World".   He was an attorney that eventually married Monika Lawrence, an M&A client, as well as one of James Stenbeck's  former lovers.