• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think this is such an interesting point because affiliate scheduling is also what doomed Generations.

Now, I've only read the summaries of FRFP, which admittedly were neither entertaining nor innovative.  However, SOD blamed casting and writing choices for the demise of FRFP, but as is often the case, creative forces are only one element in a show's cancellation.

If we've learned anything from the current state of NBC daytime, than we know that if soaps were cancelled merely because they were poorly cast or written DAYS would have been gone a thousand times by now...

Edited by j swift

• Members

NbC' s failure with L&T and FRFP examined in hindsight lead in so many directions.

NBC had failed to launch a successful soap since 1965. Hidden Faces, Bright Promise, Somerset, Return to Peyton Place and How to Survive a Marriage had all bitten the dust in the previous decade.

Meanwhile ABC has launched All My Children, One Life to Live and Ryan's Hope and CBS The Young and the restless.

So there seemed to be some default in NbC's skills in that area.

Debuting a new soap from behind was never going to be easy and the 12.30 timeslot had 2 soaps in place, so why NBC thought they had a chance, especially  expecting Rauch and Lemay to handle L&F as well as the 1 hr AW.

Then to take the show off the air to retool and come back with a new title and not much else, and then to use the 1pm slot that they hadn't programmed for decades..

Maybe at that point The Doctors should have been moved to 12.30 or 1 and L&F/FRFP moved into the 2.30 slot.

What do other think?

• Members

Central casting for "For Richer, For Poorer" was lackluster. In the little that has popped up, Darlene Parks and Tom Happer lacked the gravitas to carry the story, which was generic at best and overdone at worst. The story shifting to Richard Backus as Jason Saxton with Julia McKenzie as Laurie Brewster Hamilton was a smart move, but it should have been done to work on finding someone strong to play those major roles. Christine Jones and Rod Arrants are strong actors, but they were pretty much sidelined. I think Jason vs. Austin was an interesting dynamic and Jason marrying Megan as this sort of naive, innocent was interesting, but this wasn't the original concept of Megan. 

The show did try some things that I wish would pop up. While the gang storyline seems very trite, I would have liked to have seen the pairing between Paco and Wendy Prescott, Edith's goddaughter. This seemed like an attempt to replicate the type of stories "All My Children" was telling. I think Jason arranging for one of Austin's clients with a hooker would have been an interesting sequence as well. I also would love to see more of the affair between Laurie and Jason. 

What's really crazy to me is how the significant batch of the show's run is overlooked. The show shifted in the final months to Tessa and Lee as one of the lead couples which was such a bizarre idea. Also, Connie Ferguson's amnesia and her involvement with Dennis Romer's Dr. Roy White seems to be a rather significant thread. None of this is overly exciting to me, but its just interesting that its overlooked.