GH: August Discussion Thread

• Members

I think its sad but true. I love Vanessa, always loved Brenda but think of me as an offliner. I don't watch the show anymore, I let it go, and even as much as I love VM and Brenda, it just doesn't interest me because the show is so so different. I think there is a point in time to move on and GH has moved on from Brenda, the characters, none of them, are the same and most of all the show is not the same. And that's not necessarily always a bad thing. And when she came back the last time, the show really hadn't moved on from Brenda, she hadn't been gone that long, and she was returning from the dead, much different. It would be like AMC bringing back Dixie from the dead now. I loved her and Cady but at this point I'd really have zero interest in watching her return. And really, does anyone really believe Brenda back interacting with Jax and Sonny and Jason, is really going to make that much difference. I can tell you even with that, I don't care about Brenda because I no longer care about either of those 3 characters who have all changed since she was on last time. Now if the show were bold, they'd have her return and get involved with Sonny's son versus Sonny but I doubt anyone at GH is even thinking in those terms.

And Carl I have to ask you did you really believe Brenda's return would garner big things for the show. Now maybe its too early like I have seen commented on here but we are in a different viewing era now. If Brenda has not captured the interest of the viewing audience now, why would she in 4 weeks or 8 weeks or whatever. audiences are not the same, TV is not the same, movies are not the same. The pace is so much faster, the reward or payoff expected much quicker.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brenda's return puts a spotlight on the bad ways the show has changed and the bad ways it hasn't. Her return reminds people of when Jason was closer to being a leading man than being a bloated tin god. Her return reminds people of when Jax wasn't a complete joke of a character. Her return reminds people that the exact same stuff which drove her away from Sonny and for years was used to show why Brenda and Sonny both accepted the end of their relationship is now being used to romanticize/desensitize thuggery and mafia life. Yet Brenda is not likely to actually change any of the problems of the present. Her return is likely to make some fans feel depressed about the past and even more depressed about the present, because it takes what was special and what people could have as a fond memory, and puts it through the meat grinder that is today's GH.

• Members

So true. Thats why I say things move on. To me the era of Brenda was 15 years ago and I can remember her, even her terrible return in 2002 which was poorly done at least IMO had a greater impact because she hadn't been gone that long and the show sort of left it hanging (a presumed death) for a shocking return. I loved and adored her, I loved Sonny then and I loved Jax then.But neither really interest me in any way anymore. I don't even care about her relationship with Robin anymore, which is one I truly adored. And in that maybe I am not a typical offliner who knows.

• Members

Dante/Brenda could be interesting, and it would be a different relationship for Brenda, which she hasn't had in ages. If they wanted to do this Rome stuff they should have had Dante go over there to work on a case and meet Brenda and neither of them would know much about each other. They would start to fall for each other.

• Members

Frankly, I think that it is way to early to call Brenda's return a failure. The initial demos did not get a bump which must be disappointing to ABCD, but she hasn't hit PC or reunited with Sonny. It is still possible that she can bring an increase in the demos when her story picks up.

• Members

The thing is, Brenda may be missed by the public and such, but she is returning for the sole purpose of being reunited with characters we HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF.

Sonny and Jax are so far gone from their glory years, and have been so destroyed, that are we REALLY rooting for her to reunite with either one. Not to mention, are we really supposed to believe that she is still pinning for Sonny, after her last return was about how much Jax was the one for her.

It's stupid, Sonny and Brenda are done, they had their time and that ship has undoubtedly sailed...how can you really expect us to believe they are meant for each other when we have watched Sonny for the better part of a decade continually state Carly is the love of his life, then Kate, then Olivia. It's just not believable.

The characters have all moved on, throwing some Brenda references a few weeks before her return is not going to make that any less true....and do you really expect the viewers just to be so happy to stop everything for a character's whose time has passed, and accept the fact that the show will be centered around this woman for the next year, like it was last time.

You can't expect a broken show, to be fixed by a character that is defined by the characters who broke it.

• Members

I've never been the biggest Brenda fan. Sonny has a way of killing my love for female characters, but I still think VMG is more to write home about than any of the other main female actresses right now. It's funny because when she was on Las Vegas, I didn't think she really "popped", but I think she does on GH. She stands out in some way, even though she hasn't even done anything yet in terms of real acting.

I'm not sure if it's her looks or the way she carries herself, but I do think she has that certain something that most of the actresses on GH lack. Ironically, I think Robin Christopher is the only person on the show recently who comes close. I like several of the other actresses well enough, but most of them are about as glamorous as my neighbors. They come across as upper middle class soccer moms (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The only way I see bringing VMG back as a miscalculation is that she is probably expensive. Otherwise, I don't see that GH has anything to lose. I'm only sorry that Brenda seems headed to Sonny. I'm not sure how much of that I'll be watching.

• Members

I think the general dumbing down of the female population in town to support SaSon is the problem. On their own any of the women of GH can carry the day - and the man - nicely. As for carrying herself - I think it's more the "I'm bored" thing the glamorous do, that and "how do I walk on this f*cking heels?"

However I do agree, the fact that this is all for and about Sonny kinda puts the stink on her return regardless.

• Members

I'm really not trying to disparage them though. I'm just saying I don't think the ladies of GH have any real "star power". Not any more than the women in my neighborhood who happen to be blessed with above average looks and the money to buy expensive clothes. Hell, on the clothes/makeup/styling front some of my neighbors seem to have the advantage. Look how GH dresses it's women! I'm not even naming specific names because what I'm saying holds true for the actresses I like just as much as the ones I don't.

Actually, I take that back, I will name a name, Kelly Monaco is sort of an exception. I like her a lot, but she's not what I would call glamorous at all. She doesn't give off the soccer mom vibe like many of the others, with her it's more of a trashy vibe. It pains me to say it, but I think it's true. I think a big part of the problem is the way Sam is written, but still. All I know is I don't look at any of GH's leading ladies and wish I had their looks or presence, except for VMG and RC when she was on. Now I would kill to look like Genie Francis or Jane Elliot in their prime. wub.gif

• Members

Wow, I cant beleive they remembered that Sarah exist. That phone conversation between she and Nik must have been awkward

Ugh! Brooklyn Brenda is on saying I told you so to a man laying in a coma. Bitch, STFU!

Sam can be so stupid. I cant believe they've wasted 5 days on this sh-t

Archived