Actor Exits OLTL !

• Members

I'm not denying any of this - any of it - at all. I agree 100%. Because women are objectified much, much more than men are, I think it's easy to overlook the fact that men, especially younger guys, can be just as affected by criticism of their physical appearance. To the lengths of women and young girls, of course not, but affected just the same. Perhaps putting men under the same scrutiny is what it will take to get women out from under it, but either way, isn't that the real goal?

KA is 19, so she most likely graduated last year ('09). I wouldn't be surprised if she's set herself up to be on OLTL until it ends and then she can go to college. She's done no acting outside of the show, so maybe she's only sticking around out of loyalty and because she likes acting on the show but not necessarily acting.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Technically, Natalie has been widowed once. But she was a presumed widow for a long while with Christian. And when John "died", she definitely had the widow's role at the funeral and even after that. Given her young age, Natalie is practically the Queen Black Widow of the Lord females.

• Members

Agreed.

But Men still posses Male Privilege which more than levels the playing field.

I'm not saying Brandon (or any Male actor) shouldn't or wouldn't be affected by such discussion/criticism but the fact is they have options of choosing how they look without anything beyond message board discussions.

Discussions which acutely acknowledge the hypocrisy in the media in terms of sexism, gender & body image issues.

Also most discussions about Male appearance usually only happen when the Male is overexposed & used almost solely as a piece of eye candy (Ford, Ryan, Nick, Nikolas) or presented as God's Gift To Women (physically or otherwise) when they're well beyond their "prize stud" years (Victor, Jack, Luke, Tad, Eric, Asa).

Never gonna happen.

The reality is sexism (along with racism & homophobia) exist for reasons & no amount of increase in Male Objectification is going to change that without a total overhaul of existing social paradigms.

In the end Brandon as a Man has the option to choose to deal with certain things about his appearance which Women don't.

Touche.

Either way things don't bode well for Cole. :lol:

• Members

I think I'm starting to get what you're saying. Women, no matter what they're doing or how they're doing it, are going to be objectified (like how there's absolutely no reason why someone like Passanante's weight should be of any concern to the viewing audience -- the average ATWT watcher probably doesn't even know her name much less what she looks like, yet people still poke fun at her size), but men do have the option of not having their physical appearance be an issue. When it is an issue, it's because it contradicts something that we're supposed to believe about them (eye candy, super stud, etc).

Unfortunately :( This is the kind of thing that I think about when people tell me, "Oh, racism is not all that bad anymore, you guys are just overreacting, etc." It's depressing.

• Members

I could shrug off BB's weight issues if he was some major acting talent, but he's not and he never has been. He's just there. They don't really write for him, only rarely did because the character has all the flavor of a rice cake. He existed to be Marty's son and fall for Starr - that was it. That's as far as they ever thought his character out. And that is a scandal in and of itself given the passion and fire Marty's son should have possessed. It's a shame, but at this point it is not surprising. Not only was he always kind of lame and two-dimensional, now he is no longer physically fit.

I would have welcomed a re-conception of the character with a solid actor who could honor Haskell's work over the years, but as it is, I won't miss Cole right now.

• Members

Exactly.

The biggest thing that's changed is increased fan/actor interaction via media (twitter, myspace, youtube). So when discussions about personal stuff about actors (weight, hair, clothes) occur actors are now more able to respond than they were before.

Add to that the increasing shallowness of Daytime over the last 25 years & you have a recipe for what happened with Brandon.

I do agree with you though that male body image issues are quickly becoming a problem too (and should be addressed) though.

The thing is these discussions have to happen cause the world has changed.

People will have to change with it (even though they'll fight it tooth & nail).

• Members

I really don't think it's that noticeable to the average viewer. I never would have known it was an issue at all if not for other posters mentioning it. I can see viewers making an issue of dramatic changes in someone's weight ( I guess), but when someone just gains 10 pounds and is a little less defined, I really don't see the big deal. BB is still in way better shape than the average American male. That said, my joy at Cole's departure is unmitigated. They better not recast anytime soon. I need a break from the epic love story that is Sole.

• Members

Coincidentally, on Friday I called myself being nice for :ph34r: 'ing my mouth after really noticing for the first time what people were talking about, what with that shirt he was wearing. Honestly, I've felt weird about commenting on such things ever since you-know-who fessed up to being a regular visitor. :lol: Not for her benefit mind you, acting, hair and pork chop grease lip gloss are fair game. But BB's got nothing going that a good exercise regime couldn't turn around, and relatively quickly, my friends and I have been in the same boat. Regardless, KA could gain 75 lbs and I'd never say a word. Of the 15 or so girls I was close with in my program at college, if they didn't have an issue with food before they came, they did by the time we left. :(

I wonder if EA ever feels pressure to bulk up. Or if Jonathan Jackson, despite his hand-carved wood from a tree he cut down himself mantle (right? :P ) full of Emmys, has ever been sat down for that conversation.

Archived