An Open Letter from Ken Corday to Marlena De Lacroix

• Members

I wish that she could have retired the weekly letter to the editor, because the last years of that letter were:

Look at my lovely vacation shots!

I love the English Patient!

Look at how much I love (fill in the blank primetime show)!

Did I mention how much I love the English patient?

You Internet people are mean, you say such wicked things, I'm so glad that Judith Light wasn't cast on a soap today! (Because of course, you know that soaps circa the late 90s were SO likely to cast someone who looked like Judith Light)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA. SPW never recovered from losing Marlena and Mimi. The magazine lost all its backbone and basically became PR for the soaps. I also remember the Days boycott. It shows how TPTB helped water the genre through a lack of creativity and intimidation of their critics in the soap media. The stinging criticism of the mainstream media critics is only the reason that I enjoyed James Franco's visit to GH.

• Members

She made some good points. The "real world" doesn't care anymore, nor have they cared for the past decade. It's like the death of a human: Start off in diapers, end up in diapers. I don't know why that analogy popped into my head but I'll go with it... soaps were first thought of as something for old shut-ins and unemployed housewives, but then they became cool for college kids and youngsters and they became buzzworthy in mainstream press... but now they're back to being known for the old and the unemployed and the simple-minded.

• Members

But the thing is, the real world never cared. Oh, sure they did briefly in the very very late 70s into the 80s--arguably, but that's it. If anything, the entertainment press was even less conscious of soap operas in the 50s and 60s than they are now--MUCH less. So it's not really an excuse, IMHO.

• Members

The huge difference is that in the 50's and 60's, the real world cared but millions of soap fans did. Now, the millions of fans are literally just a few.

Soap operas: back in diapers, and stuck in a nursing home where they are neglected and forgotten by those who once loved and paid attention to them, and all their friends are slowly dying out.

Archived