B&B: June Discussion Thread

• Members

That's the problem for Bell. He never writes for the fans he has, who could bring other fans along. He writes for the fans he wants, who leave again soon after being teased by the junk that loses him his core audience. He's doing to the BnB what Maria did to the YnR. He gets temporary bumps that are followed by drastic falls in ratings.

I haven't been a solid Brooke fan since the 20th episode, but still think she and the Logan women - including Bridget, are a darned sight better than anything else the show offers. That he keeps tearing down his heroines on sexually indiscriminate storylines is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen. I'm still a BRidge fan and this storyline ruins that for me. It ruins the show for me.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Where has he acknowledged his mistakes recently? And where has he acknowledged Mulcahey for the creative turnaround? I assume he's still being credited as a story consultant, which really means nothing because it's still Brad's ship to steer. The only thing Patrick can be contribute is great dialogue(which is always top notch).

I can pinpoint the exact moment I lost all respect for Brooke after being a staunch fans and supporter of hers for years: When Brooke, who left a brokenhearted Ridge in Australia, hopped on the fastest redeye to Los Angeles to f*ck a married man and unashamedly pursued him for weeks to come even after he and his wife repeatedly said "Stay out of our marriage." It was just the flippant way that was done. Brooke had so much guilt and remorse over the whole Deacon thing and even with sleeping with Nick minutes after Ridge died and Ridge suddenly appearing. I think Brooke Logan's rape/attack was supposed to make her sympathetic to viewers, but the way they made her manipulate Ridge, trash his relationship with Ashley, and made her place the blame game on Stephanie instead of keeping her ass in real therapy.

Bridget and the rest of the LOW-gans aren't much better. Katie had potential until she slept with her niece's husband, Donna's an airhead, and Bridget's directionless in her career and always finds herself in these relationships with older men who(since Deacon)have been with her mother, desperately seeking a father figure.

Brad destroys all of his good alpha-females like this. I say the only one who's really benefited from a total, radical personality change is Taylor. Since she and the people around her recognize her flaws, she's become a much more fun character. A live wire in some ways. Taylor's always been inappropriate and a total bitch, but what makes her so likable to me is that now she's dropped her Bible and her prayers to God every five seconds and has just let loose.

• Members

Bellcurve, you and I had the same watershed moment. It's one thing that Nick was engaged and had moved on, but Brooke didn't so much as look back at the man she was in bed with the night before - the man she's loved her entire adult life: Ridge. Rick told her to go hop on nick and she did it. taylor had a habit of disrupting Brooke's happiness with no regard to the pain she'd caused her or her children so I felt no sympathy for taylor. What happened with Nick, after the 20th was more than too much to stomach. I was temporarily through with Brooke after Deacon and Nick (most especially after 'celebration of dead baby by humping' fiasco with Brooke and Nick when Bridget's baby died - that was utterly disgusting. I actually began disliking Brooke for the first time, but never hating her.) Even still KKL managed to give Brooke a sympathetic edge that made you want to forgive her once Bridget forgave her for the various betrayals. I don't dislike Brooke over this Oliver thing, I hate the writing. I hate that Bell seems more interested in figuring out how far he can push the show's fans. If you need an F'ing challenge, challenge yourself to consistently write a good storyline for more than a month without trashing your characters.

Bell gives you no reason to love any of his characters. He gives you no reason to believe he sees anything worthwhile in his characters. He's turned them all into bad jokes.

taylor is worse than ever, IMO. She still never accepts responsibility for anything. Everything is the Logan's fault. Her kids are psychotic and it's someone else's fault even though they were full functioning normal kids until her return. She hops into a bottle, it's someone else's fault. She may have put down the bible and picked up lots of stray 'peen' (and taylor has slept around) but she's the same mindless self-serving bitch she's always been. The woman slept through 2, or 3 depending on how you count them, families and still thinks the Logan women are 'sluts'. They've slept with far fewer men than taylor has.

• Members

Her having sex isnt the issue. Its when and where she did it. It was the wrong place and time for her to be getting it on. She was supposed to be chaperoning a teen party, not acting like a horny teen herself having sex outside the party. That was low even for her and she couldnt even wait till she got home before she started taking off her underwear, assuming she had any on

• Members

Yeah...I could care less if Brooke (and whoever she's doing) swing from the rafters, go at it dressed as chipmunks, full bondage gear while peeing on a picture of the Virgin Mother.

Where she went at it was inappropriate. I felt bad for KKL, having to utter that teeny-bopperish "oh that was some really HOT sex" lines crap. And Brooke suddenly acting like her and Ridge are "conventional" (aka boring) in their sex life when we regularly see them going at it like rabbits anywhere and everywhere is borderline strange.

• Members

If MAB had a storyline where a woman with Alzheimer's was written as a crazy freak and then drowned by Katherine or Victor, fans would rightfully be up in arms. I don't think Brad Bell is any better.

• Members

I do. At least B&B can be mildly entertaining and as bad as it can be, it can also quickly bounce back to great tv. Y&R is just a mess and has been for a while. I cant think of the last time I actually found any of it entertaining

• Members

B&B has some very entertaining actors and some good shock moments, yes, but for me, their stance on social issues is just insulting and shameful. They used the Storm storyline to glorify suicide. They used Alzheimer's as a cheap stunt and presented Alzheimer's as a disease for a freak. The assisted suicide stuff with Betty White was such a blatant Emmy stunt that even the Academy snubbed it.

They have delusions of grandeur, and between that and the horrible plastic surgery and characterizations of mother and daughter Taylor and the whorification of the Logan family and repetition of feuds which lost most of their value decades ago, I really miss the old B&B.

I'm not saying the show is unentertaining but they don't even do that as well as they should.

• Members

it was a 5 minute quickie up against a wall with masks on yet she was going on and on like it was the best sex of her life...lol

well I think youre going into the show with the wrong expectatinos. It isnt a show about social issues and it doesnt pretend to be. For what its worth, its strength lies in the shock value. Some of its more entertaining moments are derived from the controversy and how it pushes the envelope. B&B is trashy and campy, a combination which has helped it throughout the years

• Members

Well said, Carl, and exactly one of the major problems with this show. If you've read Bell's interviews, he really thinks he's combining some form of high art with 'meaningful storytelling' with good old fashioned soap craft. He's not shy about touting the recognition the show has gotten for tackling 'tough issues'. I think it's a situation where he thinks he's creating one thing, and fans think Bell is working hard to create good 'camp'. He's never referred to the show as camp. He just doesn't seem to view it that way. In one of his last interviews, he remarked that the soaps left are those that deserve to be around because they basically focus on strong storytelling (words to that effect, not an exact quote). I think he takes this show far more seriously than he's given credit for. The BnB is the "Gigli" of daytime, IMO.

I have to wonder if those who've recognized the BnB for its 'social relevance' have even seen the show beyond an episode or two.

• Members

BTw, Bell could fix this mess is to have Ridge pretend that he didn't sleep with Brooke that night and then surprising her with another 'mysterious stranger boink'. It still leaves Steffy in a blonde wig taking advantage of dumb-as-stones Oliver.

Archived