Degrassi: The Next Generation

• Members

Something that I just found out, at random. The reason why the actors who were on The Kids Of Degrassi Street who went on to Degrassi Junior High had different names was because...wait for it...they were asked whether they wanted to keep their character names or get new ones and all the kids said that they wanted new character names, (which, in effect, meant they'd be new characters). According to an interview with Neil Hope and Amanda Cook, Hope said he played a character called Griff on the previous series and when they decided to do Junior High, they asked him and he said he wanted a new character/name and so did all the kids!

Such a monumental change to the show's history and subsequent legacy and such a simple reason behind it. I think this was possible because Hope and the other kids were part of a repertory, rather than an established cast/crew hierarchy like other shows which featured child actors. That was really progressive!

Here is the clip.

Those kids do not sound old enough to even be on the phone

Please register in order to view this content

. I guess they must have had their parents' permission.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I hope to see Snake still there as principal as well as a few of the next-gen characters such as Emma, Marco, and Spinner there too. And I hope they actually take time to develop the black characters on this reboot that actually have POV and not just used as sidekicks. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Or heck, what about the son Liberty and JT gave up for adoption? Surely that kid is now high school age? A little convoluted of an explanation would be needed, but I would be here for it. I think it could be an interesting story arc to have an adopted kid wanting to learn about his biological parentage and the circumstances of why he was put up for adoption, and they can hit us with the built up bang of who his biological parents really are. 

I've been revisiting the seasons focusing on the original set again for the first time in years (I really can't deal with too much beyond like season 7, I never found much of successive sets that compelling). I was already on the verge of graduating high school and going to college when TNG first premiered, so I always viewed the show with slightly "mature" eyes.

Anyway, I think Sean is still my favourite character. I just think he's possibly the only one of the original group that seemed to have a real character arc and grow as time went on. Even though I liked both of his main romantic relationships (Emma and Ellie) for different reasons, I do think he and Emma are soulmates and I'm still very bitter they had Emma and Spinner randomly get married and still kept that narrative that they were still married when Emma appeared on New Class. I kind of hope this reboot fixes that and it's said she and Sean later found one another, but it probably will not happen. 

Please register in order to view this content

I think Sean was the only one who had his own theme music tool (though this was also often used for Sean and Emma's scenes as well). Like the below, which still touches my heart as they reference their first pic together from season 1.

• Members

Liberty and JT's child should be turning 16 in 2022, I believe, so yes, he would be the perfect link between the old and the new. He could be one of the central characters for the first two years before passing the torch on. And then maybe we can finally get a college-set Degrassi spin-off?? It's insane that we haven't already.

Sean remains my favorite, as well. Craig, I liked when I was younger because he was such a disaster and "I could fix him," but Sean's heart of gold mixed with his tendency to run screaming back to the jacked up life in which he was most comfortable makes him the true stand-out. In all my years of watching the show, I don't think I ever connected him with that piece of music, but it's one of the general themes that comes to mind when I think of the show's sound, especially those freeze frame endings.