Degrassi: The Next Generation

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There's an issue that has been gnawing at me for many years...the discussion surrounding censorship of episodes, with many accounts claiming scenes being cut out in various countries where the show aired including the U.S. but I wonder whether this was truly the case across all PBS stations? 

Did anyone watch Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High on WNET/Channel 13 in NYC? I remember seeing scenes that were supposed to have been censored on American television broadcasts. Also, that station was pretty liberal with the content they showed (nudity, sexual situations, etc.) I remember as a kid tuning in on a Saturday night and being shocked that they were showing this...also, I still watched, lol.

@DramatistDreamer also watched Degrassi on WNET/Channel 13 in NYC. And it's tri-state affiliates. I'm pretty sure PBS didn't censor Degrassi. At least in the NYC area. I also remember PBS showing. At lot of stuff that pushed the envelope.  Back in the late 80's/early 90's. Long before PBS got in trouble. For airing the original Armistead Maupin's Tales of The City.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Thank you!! 

Please register in order to view this content

People were trying to make me feel like my eyes didn't see, but I remember that abortion episode with Erica and Heather where they went to the clinic and all those anti-abortion protestors were there. Someone on YouTube was like "It was cut out of episodes running on PBS stations in America". I was like "Well, I guess Channel 13 is not America because I saw those scenes!"

I was almost starting to doubt my own memories but that scene with the lady holding the figurine fetus stood out in my mind because it creeped me out, the tone of the woman's voice most of all.

WNET was very liberal in their content. I don't believe they censored anything on that channel because I've seen...some things.

Nowadays, I would believe that they have become more conservative though, due to the constant threats from Republicans in Congress that they want to cut funding for PBS.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I also remember watching Tales Of The City on PBS. I remember hearing years later about some controversy, but what was it about? 

I found it kind of sad that the newest installment didn't air on PBS as the original film adaptation did. It just goes to show how much more risk-averse even NYC's PBS station would become. I miss that old programming ethos. I saw a lot of risqué Brazilian and French films on that channel, lol.

I have heard that those scenes were cut. In other states. And in other countries. I'm also glad Channel 13 gave it uncut. The one thing i loved about Degrassi was it's realism. It was never fake like Save by the Bell. The kids always felt so real.

The Republicans were appalled. I forgot if they stop PBS from getting government funding or not. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I tried to watch SBTB, but I honestly couldn't really get into it fully. Good Morning Miss Bliss seemed better written than SBTB.

I'd rather watch a show that fully leaned into its cheesiness, rather than a show that was really cheesy but tried hard to be realistic or worse, tried to go back and forth between serious and cheesy, like SBTB.

I remember reading that the kids from DJH in the repertory company who compromised the actors often talked to the writers, who allowed changes in dialogue. The kids also put together their own wardrobes and styled their own hair, etc.  A few of the storylines were inspired by the kids too. Neil Hope lost a parent when he was younger and it inspired the story of Wheels losing his adopted parents. 

One of the things that made the show more realistic to me, were little things, like Melanie (who had decided to wear lipstick to appear grown up) finding out too late that she had been trying to flirt with Snake while having lipstick all over her teeth. Ouch!

I felt so much secondhand embarrassment for her.

But little touches like that gave the series a realistic feel. It really felt like junior high in that regard.

• Members

I'm not going to judge when I was watching the likes of Out Of This World and Steam pipe Alley

Maybe due to the pandemic, there has been some pretty interesting BTS content on DJH/DH in particular. It's fun to watch, particularly the actors themselves talking about how those episodes came together. Seems like a much organic process than even what the show would later become, with the actors all being professionals with agents. Back then, I think Dayo Ade (BLT) was the only actor with an agent.

• Members

Oh, Out Of This World was a terrible show and I felt sorry for Donna Pescow, it was a filler show for me. I think I used to catch DJH repeats, or something, I can't quite remember what, but OOTW was a tie over program. I guess I could have turned the television off but that was like surrendering television time to my older brother and he was not going to snatch control until 12:30pm, lol.

I was a little past the target age group for Steampipe Alley and I didn't find Mario physically attractive but I found him really amusing. I especially thought it was funny how almost none of the kids picked up any of his Broadway references. It all went right over their heads, lol. Honestly had I not watched shows like That's Entertainment! on PBS, I probably wouldn't have understood either, lol.

• Members

As a kid I lived in the small town of Pine Bluff, Arkansas and can say confidentally now that YOU ARE NOT ALONE cuz I REMEMBER THE ANTI ABAROTION EPISODE!!! But PBS did not censor anything back then.

The controversy about TALES OF THE CITY had to do with nudity and gay people being in it back then when it was a major issue to have homosexuality on a show so there was disclaimers for it back then. And they STILL showed it all. If I remember it back then. It was part of the draw. Of course, my parents was around so I could not see TOTC versus Degrassi which usually aired here between 11 30 and 12 30 back then on PBS. Or at a time when parents was not around. It was my draw since it resonated for me and felt real. 

THANK YOU. SAME.