Lone Star: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to say that I'm very dismayed by this decision by FOX. I'm also dismayed by some of the posters here. Folks, I know we all have the right to like or dislike any show but I'm surprised by the reactions of this show by some. One thing I thought most of us here had in common was a strong liking for soaps, both daytime and primetime. I also thought most of us were extremely welcoming of ANYTHING that resembled soap fare, both daytime and primetime. And that we were willing to give a show resembling a soap the greatest chance to thrive and survive. I'm very saddened because this was the first attempt in a long time to resurrect the primetime soap genre. And it probably won't EVER be tried again. I saw a great deal of potential with Lone Star. The characters were all beautiful and potentially interesting people. And the lead was both HOT and talented. He could've gone a long way with his character. As for the premise? I think that would've been altered by the second season and beyond. I think the creators were smart enough to know that the original premise couldn't last forever. Future seasons likely would've included a different direction for Bob Allen, more character development for his two wives, more character development for Cat's two brothers, and an introduction of some more interesting characters. FOX prematurely dropped the ball on this and I think it was a mistake!

• Members

I thought the lead was very interesting. I also thought he wasn't the dog that we were supposedly being lead to think that he was. I found him to be very complex. Bob was actually a good person (or he wanted to be) being strong-armed by a tyrannical father. I also thought he was a young man desperately seeking the love that he didn't receive growing up. Which is why he wanted love from two people instead of one (his two wives). Bob was a very complex and interesting character, and again, FOX dropped the ball on this show. For shame!

• Members

The problem is this would not have been marketed as a soap or treated as one even if it were a success. And it would have done nothing for any soap genre. Look at how little Desperate Housewives, which is billed as a soap by a lot of the press, has done for the genre.

The show just seemed generic to me.

• Members

To each his own, but I thought the show was well on its way to being fantastic. I'm sorry, but what would the show have been marketed as? It couldn't have been more clearer that they were going for a soap opera with this. And I don't know about it having done anything for the soap genre, but I appreciated the attempt at creating something with the resemblance of a soap at least. What is TV about these days? Reality shows, cop shows, shows about doctors and lawyers, etc. Lone Star wasn't about any of that. The show deserved time and FOX shamefully wasn't willing to offer that.

• Members

They would have just marketed it as a "continuing series" or something like that.

If they really wanted a soap then casting people who were not so incredibly bland would have helped.

My guess is that FOX had higher expectations. No one expected the ratings that came in.

• Members

I didn't watch this because I didn't want to watch it. Screw "giving it a chance." I read what it's about, I looked at the cast, NOTHING about it appealed to me except for Adrianne, and why watch for her when I can see her as Tyra in FNL reruns whenever I want to? Polygamy? There's a show about polygamy already. Texas? There's a show set in Texas already. Business? There are shows set in business already.

There are millions of ideas out there that haven't touched at all -- AT ALL. Just all kinds of things out there, different kinds of people, different kinds of settings, different kinds of situations and storylines, but we never see any of that...at all.

ETA: Oh, and that shameless groveling from the creator? Wow, I've never seen someone in his position make such an ass out of himself in that particular way. Suicide watch.

Archived