Lone Star: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I don't know if the shows intend for these characters to be glorified but I often think a lot of critics and a lot of fans go that route. It makes them feel cool, or counterculture. I sometimes wondered if the Sopranos started to become more overt in showing people that Tony was not a good guy after that first season, where a lot of fans saw him as a generally nice guy who just had a shrewish wife and mother.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol: Your attempts and condescension are laughable. I see right through you Sylph and have for a good long time, I'm just not as blunt about it as Vee. By now you should have figured out that you will never get under my skin. Keep trying though. I need a good laugh every now and again.

Now we can end it.;)

• Members

Good point Carl. One thing I have noticed on the message boards is that fans seem to hate the spouse of these characters, especially once they start to get in the way of the man's criminal behavior. That seems especially true with Breaking Bad's Walt/Skyler and Dexter/Rita. Somehow the woman is demonized because she questions the man's lies and wants some accountability, while the man is somehow rootable despite being a meth dealer or serial killer. Tony's mother was a straight up sociopath though. It's too bad the actress died because the Tony/Dr. Malfie scenes concerning her were fascinating to me.

• Members

Yeah, Livia was a fascinating nightmare, and I think once Nancy Marchand became too ill to make regular appearances, and they brought in Tony's pointless sister, it started to move away from what made Tony interesting as a character.

You're right about fans hating the wife. On Nip/Tuck, when I could stomach the show, no matter how badly Sean or Christian behaved, Julia would get most of the loathing. On Rescue Me, the various women around Denis Leary would get more blame than his repulsive character ever would.

• Members

Haha I was coming on to say that! The handheld cameras, the way they're shooting it...

Why, because FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS isn't a soap?

Cute and he looks like he can act.

I think he has a bright future ahead of him.

Granted, the premise isn't 100% soap but that doesn't mean it isn't one. Perhaps--shock!--we actually get something new and imaginitive. Or at least something that tries to be. :lol: I guess the only way we'll know is when it premieres.

Which is when, exactly?

Archived