Lone Star: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It can be that and a soap, too, though. That's how the Australian soaps are.

I guess it's subjective. I'll go on record to say that I think it's a soap. It's a serialized, character-driven drama about the lives and relationships of several people. That's all I need to label something a soap.

• Members

In this show though, I don't like the lead.

And I can see it fail. They'll have to uncover the fraud at one point in time and then what? Sure, they can stretch the uncovering for 79 seasons, but who's going to wait that long?

• Members

That's what turns me off a LOT of shows. Too many of them are essentially developed as mini-series. The first season is acclaimed and buzzed about, but once the second season starts, it can never touch the first, so it's like..."Now...what?"

I blame it on the got damn mysteries. There's always this need for "mysteries." They need to let that go.

• Members

You really do surprise me sometimes! :lol:

This I definitely agree with. The premise is tricky because they have to figure out exactly how long it's going to go on for and what will happen after it. If they're smart, they're not going to let it completely dominate the show but build on other things that will help it survive past the original story.

• Members

That's exactly how it is. A great definition: no one thinks beyond the first season. Hell, they don't even develop the first properly!

You like the guy?

They have to figure out how to do the whole set-up & first season properly and at the same time think about the rest of this show. One of their main questions should be: After we uncover it all, to what do move onto?

• 4 months later...

Archived