Lone Star: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Different in comparison to what is currently out there. netwokrs are full of crime/cop/law/etc type shows and hour long "dramas" that are just an overrun sitcom. This was an actual drama, sure its kind of been done before, but its how i felt when friday night lights came along, finally something that isnt just like everything else thats trending at the time.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I found it a bit dull and with the comparisons to Dallas, I do wish the series had a more ensemble feel. Maybe center the show more around Jon Voight as the big patriarch and less on this newbie Jimmy Wolk and his two brides. That storyline can't sustain a series long term and it should've never been launched solely on those terms. I also found the promos to be incredibly boring for this show and only watched because of reviews.

• Members

Already facing the axe.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20017298-10391698.html

I find it odd that we are hearing how "different" this show is. That cast is as generic as you can get. I also wonder why they decided to cast Voight, since the only thing he's made headlines for in the last decade was screaming about Obama and bickering with his daughter.

• Members

I think the show could have evolved into something alot more, as we saw its storylines continue to play out, therefore becoming an ensemble in time after the main character's plot was revealed, and eventually received his redemption. Once he was redeemed, the show could have played up the "fish out of water" angle, having the main character take on many stories involving the corporate world of oil.

I was turned off by the decision to have Jimmy Wolk's character become a polygamist at the end of the episode, as if the character hadn't been painted into a corner than before, that definitely did it.

• Members

I seriously don't get why they have been pimping this along the lines of Dallas--it's not similar whatsoever, except setting IMHO. I thought it was alright. Nothing more. I do kinda agree with Jack though--I'm SOO sick of the endless procedurals, etc, that I'd rather see this stick around (for the record I felt the same way with Cane, even though I personally lost interest in it before it was canceled).

From ent weekly:

After a disappointing premiere for Lone Star, the vultures seem to be circling the new drama starring James Wolk as a sexy con man leading a double life. The series, which also stars Jon Voight, only averaged 4.1 million viewers on Monday and a mere 1.3 rating/3 share among adults 18-49. Naturally, the assumption is that Fox will consider axing the show sooner rather than later.

For now, however, the network has yet to make a decision, though one insider told EW that Lone Star is still scheduled to return next Monday with a new episode. Complicating matters is that Fox won’t know until two weeks from Monday how popular the show was with DVR users. Given how competitive the first night was for the 2010-11 TV season, there’s a good chance that many viewers recorded Lone Star so they could watch the ultra-addictive Dancing with the Stars or the CBS comedies live instead. On top of that, viewers are still in the sampling stage; its too early for anyone to commit to new shows. Fox recognizes that viewers need time to find Lone Star, which has the added benefit of being popular with the TV critics. Stay tuned.

• Members

Wow, you mean you actually WATCHED the full episode of something you're critiquing? ^_^

I don't think it's that ismilar to other tv shows--books, movies, maybe. And as you said that' spart of the prob--where do you go after the secret is up? The supporting cast has some potential, and I guess if they build them up so there's something there, after, there's a chance. (Of course we'll prob not get that far...)

• Members

It sounds as if they're planning to expand on characters and stories as the show goes on. It's doubtful that they're going to get much of a chance but what EW said makes sense: They're probably gonna want to wait and see the whole picture--after all, it was a VERY competitive night.

Archived