Lone Star: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I liked the show, there were some factors that contributed to it's early demise...

1) timeslot (women/gay viewers were busy watching Dancing with the stars and Gossip Girl... and men were most likely watching The Event)

2) No strong female leads (If their intent was to create another soap, where were the strong female characters??? the two women certainly didn't fit the bill and Andie M. is an interesting choice but wasn't being introduced until episode 3 and even then, not as a long term character.)

3) Promotion/lack thereof (Very little promotion for the show and the little that I saw showed the main character two-timing/conning both women. Doubtful women would want to see that, especially older women who are soap fans)

4) Too male-centric (goes with point #2... no strong, well-known female characters.. all the prime-time shows of yesteryear always had a strong female presence)

5) Wrong network (would have gone perfectly on HBO, Showtime, TNT, even USA).

Perhaps the show would have gotten better but, in this day and age, you need to hook viewers in the pilot.

• Members

I had no idea! I actually loved The Book of Daniel...I thought it was a perfect example of jumping on the DH comedy-soap bandwagon while still being pretty original. I hate it when famous LGBTs blame the rest of us for not supporting them in situations like this, though. You're supposed to blame the right-wing assholes who are causing the problems.

But this Kyle Killen fellow...I just don't know. When I read the headline, I thought "Aw, that's sad but very valiant." I mean...if I'd poured my heart and soul into a show, spent countless hours creating and writing and this and that, got all of this stuff together to shoot this thing and put it on the air and then, in a matter of days, it's all goooone like it never existed? Man, as somewhat of an aspiring TV writer, I just can't imagine it. But the way he went about it, the desperate attempts to cover up the massive implosion going on in his head with lame humor and pot shots at shows that, despite what he thinks about them, still managed to beat the sh!t out of his show in the ratings...sad, man. Just very sad. I betcha he's still crying out there.

Archived