Fulton Selling Her Upper East Side Home

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's bizarre. After real estate fees she's going to LOSE money on this property. I don't think Eileen Fulton, 50 year career or not, can really afford that kind of financial loss.

The article mentions that she wants to rent...anyone else not quite believe that? Who dumps a condo you've spent $2.4 million (plus $500,000 in renovations) after only 3 years?

Someone who can't afford the place. That's who.

• Members

I wonder. The show was getting 2.4's in 2007 wasn't it? I can see why she might think she had until at least 2012. Maybe she took a big hit during the financial crisis as well. Not many people saw that coming. I imagine people in her age group lost a lot if they were in stocks or real estate.

• Members

Yep. I feel worst for the old people who took their retirement money out at the bottom of the market and then missed the market rally on top of it. It just sucks that they worked their whole lives for security and then got screwed when they are most vulnerable. At least EF isn't in that position. She may not be able to afford a $2 million house, but I'm sure she's comfortable.

• Members

Exactly, we are on the same page. The first flag that went up was when it said that she'd just bought the place in '07, and the article would soon confirm my suspicion that she'd done a considerable downsize (and put some cash in her pocket). Wonder how long she'd been in the place on CPW and if the mortgage had been paid off.

But yeah, why on earth would she want to rent? I dunno, it's her business (and her $) but buy an UE/WS studio or something. Maybe she's looking at a full-service building like a Ritz hotel/condo, the poshest you can get to an assisted living facility short of the nurses. I was a little surprised that Linda Dano got rid of her Manhattan apartment recently, but maybe she doesn't do much in the city anymore and is happy out in CT and spending a lot of time in L.A. Does Eileen have a house in the country? Perhaps she wants to travel. And she doesn't have any children (i.e., anyone to leave $ to) right?

Eileen certainly has southern girl taste. :D Very colorful, and I do in fact love the vanity wall of black and white photos in the foyer.

Here's Dano's apartment that she recently sold fully furnished. More to my taste.

http://www.luxist.com/2009/09/26/linda-danos-new-york-city-apartment-up-for-sale/

• Members

It just seems so off.

I don't even understand dumping a house if she lost money in the market...put the place up for lease...it just seems off.

Perhaps we're all wrong and she's screamingly rich and just likes to buy a place, work on a place and sell it and now she wants to rent.

Yeah, doesn't add up.

• Members

Linda's place, gorgeously decorated, sold for the asking price and she didn't have to cut it.

She still has a place in Manhattan, but it's a lease on the Upper East Side. Linda's explanation was that she was finally ready to move from the last home she shared with her late husband Frank and that she found renting easier since all maintenance issues are handled by the building owners. That, I can believe.

The difference between Linda and Eileen is that Linda has a multi acre spread in Connecticut and rents an apartment in Century City in LA...while Eileen just had that condo. Her only asset, she's a 74 year old woman. Why the hell would you want to rent?!

• Members

She probably horrendously mismanaged her finances. I can find no other explanation.

She must have earned loads of cash in all these years, but to go from a multimillion condo on Central Park West to a $2.4m place, renovate it, then try to sell it for $3m and reduce to price back to $2.4m... Things don't add up, definitely.

• Members

I hope so. I'm not sure why, since I'm no where near screamingly rich myself. Yet somehow it just seems right that EF should be. I guess it's because I see her as an old school, glamorous diva.

If she isn't rolling in dough however, I suggest a change of location. It's amazing the difference living in a cheaper state can make in your standard of living. She could have an estate fit for Lisa Gromaldi for just $1 million in many parts of the country.

Archived