Fulton Selling Her Upper East Side Home

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I dunno. She does seem a little eccentric. :P But Robin Strasser had a hobby of buying and renovating then flipping houses, just something she enjoyed doing. She owns an UES townhouse and for a while had actually moved into a condo on the UWS and rented her house out (to Tea Leoni and David Duchovny). Point is, Robin always had that real estate she OWNED which is certainly a nice insurance policy for a single, aging person with no children or children out of state. As a matter of fact, Robin also bought her mother a house in CA and a house of her own (next to Ellen and Portia), so she's made some wise investments with her money.

• Members

You're absolutely right, and really, she could live a similar lifestyle and save a couple of hundred thousands just by moving to urban-suburban areas of Westchester County or CT. Not a HUGE price drop by any means, but depending on where she looked, she could save some cash.

I love Harvey the zebra. :D

I was disturbed that she had to "trim him down" though. :o

• Members

I knew Robyn's place on the UES was fantastic, but I never knew she had a place in California. In Bel Air no less. In actual fact, I've just discovered she's leased it...for $7,300 a month. WELL DONE ROBIN!

What a pity if this is what Eileen Fulton is left with...she should move to Florida, she'd find a great condo by the beach for far less than what she'll have to spend on rent to maintain any semblance of a lifestyle in Manhattan.

• Members

At 74, I think it's time to consider Florida. If you've ever lived in NY, you know how unforgiving NY winters can be. Of course, support systems are very important to seniors, but a lot of New Yorkers migrate south after retirement. I live in the Tampa area now (although I'm no where near retirement), which is no where near sophisticated enough for someone like EF. Still, I imagine even upscale coastal areas are much cheaper than NY and probably a lot more comfortable as well.

Ha! You beat me to it!

• Members

LOL, my grandparents and great aunt and uncle did the FL migration, curiously both couples spent more on their FL digs than their homes up north. But that's what they wanted and they will spend their remaining years very comfortably, just the way they'd like to.

Yes, I live in NY so I know about those winters. :D Condo/apartment life for Eileen is different, those few steps from the doorman to the cab would be her most treacherous, but I know what you mean, not having to shovel snow is one of the main reasons why my Grandfather wanted to move.

• Members

What I don't understand about this MESS for Eileen Fulton is that often complained about her role on ATWT and asked to be killed off. She even said that last year!

The market must have battered her something fierce to go this route. I wonder how astute she was, business wise.

Just a little more on Robin Strasser.

So she's got the Bel Air house that's got an assessed value of $750,000...she sold her mother's home in Beverly Hills Post Office for $765,000, making a $265,000 profit in December 2009. Plus the Upper East Side townhouse. You go Ms Strasser!

• Members

Looking at those pictures I am trying to guess where she lives. It looks like she lives near the 59th street bridge, which is ok, but certainly not CPW, where she came from. This sounds like she is trying to cut costs. The brokerage fees used to be 6% in NY so on 2 million that is 120,000 but you can negotiate fees too. However, even if she takes a small loss on this apartment her net monthly gain from moving to whatever 2BR place she goes to (or perhaps relocates altogether), she could recoup her loss from the savings before too long.

This apartment was not at all what I would have thought EF would live in. She seems like a pre-war kind of gal, yet is living in a post-war condo.

• Members

Yeah, I think she's bought three/four homes in CA, I may be confusing my facts a little. I think she bought her mom a place, then sold that one and moved her to another place (?), and I want to say that she sold the Ellen/Portia house and did or did not buy another one, reasoning that she already had the house for her mother there. I'm basing this all on stuff she talked about on the Hotline over the years, so my facts may be spotty here and there. At ANY rate, she is a huge advocate for young women to not waste their money on ridiculous things like $1,000+ Hermes bags and work on acquiring some real estate.

• Members

Right, and as you know, there's the Upper East Side, and there's the Upper East Side. In either case, she ain't exactly slummin' it, but it does seem like money may burn in her pocket. :P Does anyone know more about her exes and their financial situations? Ooh, I'm being tacky...

• Members

Most of us have speculated that the 'economic crisis, credit crunch etc' took her financial portfolio to the cleaners. So it wasn't necessarily her current income from ATWT but rather her investment income on which she lived that's forced the sale of this place.

The thing is, she's not just taking a loss on the selling price, she's taking a loss on the $500,000 of renovations that she isn't recouping from the sale. When all is said and done she could lose $700,000 on this place!

And yes, it looks like her condo is on East 59th Street, right near the Queensborough Bridge. I imagine that could provide some gorgeous river views and I myself do enjoy a city view...but it isn't the Upper East Side that Joan Rivers calls home. The place isn't unique. To go from a $4,100,000 Central Park West pre-war to a $2,400,000 post war condo is a big downgrade...and to go from a $2,400,000 post war condo to renting, that's just terrible.

Archived